Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Originally Posted by pajasper
Well, we had avoided the dreaded center console squeak until nearly 3000 miles, but now it's just starting. Since I was looking for it, I now notice it, though my wife says she has not heard it yet (but she usually plays the stereo ).

I can silence it by sliding a piece of folded paper under the lower lip of the center console plastic where it meets the carpet and just beneath the vertical fin, but that's not a very satisfactor solution. I guess it's time for the felt pad implant.

On the plus side, we just had our first tank over 40 mpg, so that takes some of the sting out of it.
Yep mine just appeared at 3500 miles. Real annoying!

Old 10-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

I occasionally hear clicks or chirps from the center console, usually when I go over bumps in the road. Even though the sound does not sound as though it is coming from the area of the main storage compartment of the console, or its lid, I drove an entire commute with the console open (resting my arm on the open console instead of on its usual spot, the closed lid) to see how it would effect the sound. This seemed to eliminate the sound completely. While not a solution in itself, it may help pinpoint the source or cause of the sound. I have not attempted a permanent fix, as the sound is not yet too annoying, but if I do, I will focus first on the lid. Others who have this problem may wish to see if they get similar results. Be careful though, because the console lid will not stay up by itself while driving unless something is there (such as your elbow) to prop it open and keep it from slamming shut (which could be startling).

RoLev

Old 10-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by selia
Ian,

I have same issue. It is a fine tinny type rattle that seems to come from the drivers window. The other service people and the manager indicated that I was not the first to report this in the new Camry. I was told that two replacement parts were being ordered for my car. For the window- I was told there are small clips near the A-Frame corner towards the side view mirror that were loose and will be replaced (cause of tinny rattle).
Selia,

I have the same driver (and front passanger) window rattle/ticking sound problem. Please do inform if the replacement clips solve this problem.

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the non-hybrid version of the Camry also has this problem? I'm thinking that if it does, then Toyota will eventially come up with an official fix. I haven't implemented any fixes on mine yet.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamm3r
Does anyone know if the non-hybrid version of the Camry also has this problem? I'm thinking that if it does, then Toyota will eventially come up with an official fix. I haven't implemented any fixes on mine yet.
All Camry trims have this problem, as does the Lexus ES350.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

solution to the problem:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ight=squeaking

Old 10-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for both responses. I had already read the solution post, however, I hoping for an official solution (maybe a technical service bulletin) from Toyota and not for a solution from an individual dealer.

If Toyota comes out with an official solution, I would expect that they would replace the trim with a correctly designed one, as opposed to asking the service departments to hack the existing one.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mine is getting worse.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Likewise. Got my car less than 2 months ago, only 2,200 miles so far... but I've been hearing this squeak get progressively more pronounced (and more often) since week 2 or so... I was going to wait until my 5K maintenance visit to the dealer, but am seriously considering doing it myself now (thanks to ALL the helpful tips on this forum).

I agree with hamm3r, though: I am truly hoping for a official TSB on this one soon!

Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yep, I just reached 1000 miles on my 2007 TCH and the cricket/chirping noise is getting slowly but surely more obvious... I am hoping for an official TSB from TOYOTA soon.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands