Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Those pictures help tremendously. I now have a better sense for what the weatherstripping is. I agree that your weatherstripping seems like a better solution than the felt pads as the pads do not have any "give" to them like the spongy weatherstripping.

Thanks again for the post. I'm down to some duller, muffled squeeks that are still driving me nuts.

Originally Posted by klynch
I've posted pictures of my weatherstripping fix on the "Share" page of this site...hope they help.

At the front of the console, I did not place any weatherstripping in the area immediately in front of the gear shift lever.

In my previous post, I incorrectly stated the product was made by WeatherKing instead of Frost King.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ts95403
The "crickets have sex" have started in my new TCH at around 600 miles. Took it to the dealer, and couldn't get it to do it! I will get some of the pads installed tomorrow and also carry my stethiscope (sorry don't have my dictionary handy) to pin point the noise.

I bet lots of old cars made these noises but this car is so dam'n quiet you noise every sound. I'll turn up the black eyed peas!
I don’t have the mating crickets/squeak yet, but I can make it do this by gripping the outside rims of the tray with the 12V outlet and pulling/pushing the center console toward the passenger seat and back toward the driver’s seat. I know, I know… Don’t do that!

<sigh> Oh well. It’s only a matter of time now.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast

It's been a few weeks and some cold weather here and the squeaks are still totally gone with the felt pad solution.

Now to tackle the other rattles:

Passenger front door- goes away if i lower the window a hair. Something the dealer has to deal with. Probably the same as the drivers rattle I guess.

I have a rattle either in the dashboard or the firewall (Fuel lines rattling?) I can't find the source superficially so it must be deep inside.
Maybe I'll start another thread on other rattles. I hope this isn't the future of Toyota.

Good luck everyone

tom

Old 10-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I reported the squeaking problem to my dealer yesterday when I took my car in for its first servicing (5,000 miles). Not only was mine the first complaint they had about it, but they looked online and said there are no Toyota tech notes about it yet. If so many of us have the problem, why don't all the service departments know about it yet? Guess complaining on this website doesn't equate to complaining about it to Toyota. If we all complain, maybe it will warrant a fix.

By the way, I told the technician not to do anything about it at this time because I didn't want them tearing up my car until there is a fix. He noted the complaint on my file but also wrote down that "no squeak was detected." As I left, I heard it squeaking before I got out of the parking lot! (Maybe we (TCH owners) just tend to focus in on that squeak?)

I put in some felt pads which muffled the squeaking for a while but I will be adding more.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Squeaks appeared at about 1,000 miles. Thanks to all the posters, I did not suffer a conniption when it occurred. I did debate fixing it myself or taking it to the dealer. I decided to go to the dealer hoping that they would log the service and perhaps clue Toyota into the design flaw. The dealer said that they did as I recommended (which is what I read in this thread - remove console cover and insert felt pads). Will report back results!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

I added more felt pads, for a total of 7, and it seems to have done the trick for now. Of course, 3 did the trick for a while too. But for now, I am happy!

Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

i had this problem that there is a rattle sound from the driver's window, and the sound disappear once a lower the window a little bit. I told the dealer before but they didn't hear anything.
The rattle sound seems to come and go and it is kind of random. Sometimes I heard it when I am on rough road, sometimes i heard it on normal perfectly paved road. I feel hard to summarize it to the dealer.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

Ian,

I have same issue. It is a fine tinny type rattle that seems to come from the drivers window. I took my Camry in for first check-up/service yesterday and complained about the excessive and random rattles especially around the window and the console. I took one of the service techs out for a ride and I was ready to pull my hair out because I could not get the console to chirp or the window to rattle for almost 30 minutes. Finally I found a nice fairly bumpy and rough road. The window began rattling and the console was chirping like crickets gone wild. Upon returning to the dealer, I insisted on a report being sent to Toyota. I was told it would be reported (I doubt it will actually happen though). The other service people and the manager indicated that I was not the first to report this in the new Camry. I was told that two replacement parts were being ordered for my car. For the window- I was told there are small clips near the A-Frame corner towards the side view mirror that were loose and will be replaced (cause of tinny rattle). I was also told that a new cover for the shift column (where P, R, N, B) are labeled will be put into my car. According to the service manager- there are no TSBs yet on the rattling. Once these new parts arrive I intend to see if there are any changes from the originals- if not I will try the felt pads. I intend to get the original clips and shift cover and Fed-Ex them to the head Executive of Sales and Service in the USA. Anybody know who that person is?

Old 10-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, we had avoided the dreaded center console squeak until nearly 3000 miles, but now it's just starting. Since I was looking for it, I now notice it, though my wife says she has not heard it yet (but she usually plays the stereo ).

I can silence it by sliding a piece of folded paper under the lower lip of the center console plastic where it meets the carpet and just beneath the vertical fin, but that's not a very satisfactor solution. I guess it's time for the felt pad implant.

On the plus side, we just had our first tank over 40 mpg, so that takes some of the sting out of it.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota have Tecnical Service Bulletins (TSB) to fix many noises, they are listed on the following link, some relate to the current Camry. Suggest you search the page, using the find function (Control F) for "2007 toyota camry"

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...links/links/13

The full list of TSB's by catagory is on:-

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum..._links/links/1

Last edited by Paulgw; 10-14-2006 at 06:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands