Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

My console started squeaking again one week after the dealer 'fixed' it. Went only about 40 miles in that time. This was the only one of four problems (all quality issues) they were able to fix and it didn't last. Very frustrating. Any recommendations for a goode dealer service department in the SF Bat Area ?

Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 PM
CSG
Enthusiast

With about 800 miles on ours, we've got the chirping console. Giving it a whack temporarily helps. As much as I generally like the car, I'm more than disappointed with the squeaks and rattles. Really unacceptable from Toyota with their vaunted reputation. We'll see how the dealer handles some of these issues on our first service.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:48 PM
new2Hybrids

The "crickets have sex" have started in my new TCH at around 600 miles. Took it to the dealer, and couldn't get it to do it! I will get some of the pads installed tomorrow and also carry my stethiscope (sorry don't have my dictionary handy) to pin point the noise.

I bet lots of old cars made these noises but this car is so dam'n quiet you noise every sound. I'll turn up the black eyed peas!

Last edited by ts95403; 10-02-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Enthusiast

Do you have some pics?

Originally Posted by klynch
I used weatherstripping (self-adhesive, WeatherKing, 5/16" thick) to "fix" the problem. I placed a long strip between the two clips in the center of the console and another shorter strip by the left clip. As advertised, the repair took 5 minutes, and I haven't heard a squeak in two days.

Unless I report back, assume the fix worked.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Not yet, but I can try to take some tonight (after finishing 4th grade math and 7th grade history!) and then hopefully figure out how to post them.

Is there any area in particular you want to see? I assume you already know how to disassemble the center console?

Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast

This is the first I've heard of the weather stripping. I am quite familiar with taking the console apart as I've done it at least 10x.

Some people complain about drivers putting on make-up, talking on cell phones, or using the navigation system while driving--I take apart the center console and add felt pads.

I'd love to see the weather stripping method now that I've got the chirps dramatically reduced but get the occasional squeek.

Has anyone come up with a treatment for the rattles?

Originally Posted by klynch
Not yet, but I can try to take some tonight (after finishing 4th grade math and 7th grade history!) and then hopefully figure out how to post them.

Is there any area in particular you want to see? I assume you already know how to disassemble the center console?

Old 10-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I talked to the tech when in for an oil change. He looked it up online (mebbe here) put in 2 felt pads, no squeak for a week. No rattle, no charge. That's about as good as it gets.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spam2000
This is the first I've heard of the weather stripping. I am quite familiar with taking the console apart as I've done it at least 10x.

Some people complain about drivers putting on make-up, talking on cell phones, or using the navigation system while driving--I take apart the center console and add felt pads.
LOL. I did the same thing - disassembled and added a few additional pads after taking it apart initially at Lowe's and slapping a TON of those pads everywhere. I noticed that there was a still a "non-dull" tap sound as I tapped on the area where the heated seat switches are (but on the right side), right in front of the shifter. I dismantled as I drove down the road and stuck a few more in there, and then put it together. This dulled the noise.

I may have gone overboard on the pads - I might have to go back and remove some if things squeak again.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think others may have tried weatherstripping. I read numerous posts about people trying to isolate areas where the squeaking might be coming from and putting additional felt pads in those areas. While this approach worked for a lot of people, I figured the rubber weatherstripping had two benefits.

1. It could be compressed, allowing for a tight fit (while I didn't try felt pads, I didn't think those pads had any "give" to them)
2. I could cut it to the length I wanted, allowing me to cover broad areas

Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've posted pictures of my weatherstripping fix on the "Share" page of this site...hope they help.

At the front of the console, I did not place any weatherstripping in the area immediately in front of the gear shift lever.

In my previous post, I incorrectly stated the product was made by WeatherKing instead of Frost King.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands