Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

The squeaking has returned in my center console. I know I've ranted on the clips that they had put in mine, but it was fine until I arrived in the hot and humid south. It doesnt squeak too often, but it does it. I'll take care of it at some point.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ugh...

My console has started squeaking now too (weather has gotten quite a bit cooler now).

I am wondering if I should try the felt pads (I have taken the console apart once before when I was running wires for the my add-on satellite radio), or take it to the dealer. My squeak started precisely 2 days after I brought it to the dealer to finsih up some work related to my Bambi collision!

Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So far I've gone 2 weeks squeak free since adding the felt pads. I had previously put a very small dab of silicone grease on the clips (not the yellow ones, just the plain plastic ones. Photos are in in this thread).

Wish me luck that it stays squeak free.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Squeaking and rattling in the center console

Mine has had rattles occasionally (like what’s been reported by alc13, post #64) but it happens more and more frequently recently. And now I also start to hear the squeak! Several people noted that these problems are more likely to occur in cold weather. The fact that I start to have these problems now but not in August seems to support this observation; the weather has cooled down quite a bit lately.

I am going to report this problem to Toyota Canada. To other TCH owners in Canada: please also report this problem if you have it as we have long winter here and would likely suffer the most.

Hope they can come up with a fix soon. In the meantime, I will try the fix by lovekills. But I am not sure the rattling can be fixed. Alc13: is your rattle problem fixed?

Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

I have the squeaks too after ~750 miles! They are getting to be very obnoxious. I took the console plates up following the pictures and put down some felt pads but they were too big. I took out the pads and put everything back together. I also noticed the entire console unit itself can move from left to right with some pressure. I moved it and felt something click into place. Right now, I have no squeaks, but I'm certain they will return--no doubt about it. Also, I have the RATTLES, which is even more annoying than squeaks. We're going to need someone to figure that out. If you track down the cause, please let us know!

Old 09-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast

Many thanks to those who took the time to describe this problem.

The cricket chorus opened last week and took the stage in my center console, out of the blue, with full intensity, they were definitely on pheromones.
I was hoping my car would somehow not experience this but now I believe
all car owners should expect it to happen sooner or later.
I couldn't stand the noise, it was so annoying that I had to fix it right away.
After reading all posts it was not only encouraging to try the fix, but incredibly simple. I drove the car to Home Depot, bought the self adhesive felt pads (approx $ 0.99) at lunch break and installed them right away, in 3 minutes, following perfect instructions found elsewhere in this thread (thank you, Lovekills and Nash!)
Crickets are dead! so far, anyway. ...Will keep a close eye around Halloween!

Old 09-16-2006, 04:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking and rattling in the center console

Green Cat,

My TCH is really starting to rattle too. It is bugging me. Sometimes it happens on bumpy roads and some times just as I gradually accelerate from a stop (even on smooth roads). The vent over on top of the back seat vibrates and sometimes make a loud rumble noise. I will be pressing my Toyota dealer when I go in for my first oil change. The noise was real loud last Tuesday in the morning when the outside temp was 38 degrees. The thing that bugs me the most though is the right armrest/storage compartment cover is loose and it creats a click noise on each bump and when I lift my elbow off it. This never happened on my 03 Camry. They are going to get an earful when I bring my car in for service. I will see how they deal with it before trying the felt pad and grease solution. Hopefully Toyota will do something about this.

Last edited by selia; 09-16-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

I have a rattle coming from the drivers door/window. I think I have found a temporary fix until I bring it to the dealer. It goes away if I keep the window rolled down a tiny bit (about 1mm). Seems like if the window is fully closed it creates some sort of tension in the top part of the door frame which causes the rattle.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

I have the exact same problem with my driver's door window. I brought it into the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and they said they lubricated the weatherstripping.
It went away for exactly 24 hours. I'm doing the same thing as you for now, just
putting down the window a little. I'm hoping they eventually come out with a TSB for it.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Squeaking in the center console???

I would like to hear about your experience with the dealers in terms of their efforts to fix the centre console squeak problem. Does anyone know if it is possible to approach Toyota as a group to complain about this issue? I am sure most Camrys (hybrids and non-hybrids) have this problem.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands