Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Thanks- That Helps!!!

Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Forgive me, but what is TN? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Originally Posted by flopshot
There is a post over at TN in the Gen5-6 forum which shows how you can remove the fins and the console cover. I did not take my own pictures.

Here is where I placed my pads after the cover was removed. (Note - as mentioned in my earlier post, I removed the pad at the bottom of the picture, because I could not snap the cover back into place with that pad there)

Old 08-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ntguru
Forgive me, but what is TN? Do you have a link? Thanks.
Here's the link to the post:

Toyota Nation

Will Mayall

Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

BTW. The post on Toyota Nation does not show removing the gear shift ****. To remove the ****, simply unscrew the entire ****.

Will Mayall

Old 08-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ah, thanks.

I took my car in once already for the center console squeak and the dealer fixed it but a week later it was back in full force. FWIW, I believe there are two sources of the squeaking.

Once is the center console plastic panel that everyone's talking about. The other is the shifter column itself. I noticed that the higher-pitched squeak on my TCH seems to be from the slight side-to-side jittering of the shifter column/stalk. If I hold it with modest force that squeaking goes away and only the squeak from the console itself remains. If I rapidly shake the shifter side to side I can replicate the squeak.

Originally Posted by mayall
Here's the link to the post:

Toyota Nation

Will Mayall

Old 08-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I took the car in to have it fixed. The dealer says the console box needs to be replaced.
No surprise, the dealer's replacement of the console box did not fix the squeak.

I took the left and right "garnish" pieces off, then the shift ****, and the large plate around the shift. After putting it back together, it no longer squeaks. I'll bet it starts squeaking again.

Will Mayall

Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I used some rubber tape at first, but realized that plastic on rubber would squeak and after 2 days it did, my latest was to try the cloth side of velcro, it make a nice fabric fit so hopefully plastic rubbing on fabris will not squeak. I'm guessing Toyota will have an official fix eventually, but seeing as the center console comes out so easy why wait.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
I used some rubber tape at first, but realized that plastic on rubber would squeak and after 2 days it did, my latest was to try the cloth side of velcro
When trying to fix my squeak, I used cloth bandaides. I cut the pieces from the end of the bandaide. I did not end up using this as a fix because I never found the actual cause of the squeak but it seemed like it would work.

Will Mayall

Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm surprised Toyota hasn't issued a TSB for this already. This has to be annoying to them, it certainly is to me (to continue to read about it).

I had my rattle fixed when the service manager attached a clip near the shifter that wasn't attached. I've been squeak free for over a month now.

I have the squeaking. I took the car in to have it fixed. The dealer says the console box needs to be replaced. I take it in tomorrow for the replacement.

I'd prefer to have the dealer fix the squeak. It is under warranty and Toyota should know that they have a problem.

Will Mayall

Old 08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lem144
I'm surprised Toyota hasn't issued a TSB for this already. This has to be annoying to them, it certainly is to me (to continue to read about it).

I had my rattle fixed when the service manager attached a clip near the shifter that wasn't attached. I've been squeak free for over a month now.
Would it help if you just rub a tiny tiny bit of petroleum or grease along the parts that touch? I'm thinking a thin thin layer.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands