Squeaking in the center console???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
Lovekills....

How thick was the fabric tape... Thicker than the cloth side of velcro or thin like felt or like cushions that go on the bottom of a chair....? Thanks!
They are labeled medium duty (either in black or white). It's the kind you use at the end of a chair's legs to stop them scratching the floor. ACE also has the heavy duty ones but they are too thick.

Last edited by lovekills; 08-23-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

I tried this fix and it seems to have worked. I put felt pads under the shift plate cover and lubed the clip points with silicone. Now it's finally silent! Now I just have to get to work figuring out my faint driver's door rattle and a quiet rattle that seems to be emanating from the hybrid battery vent near the rear parcel shelf.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

SandDiegoBlue - I read in some post - can't remember where at this time - that someone else had a door squeak and the dealer fixed it because the door was out of alignment and had to be adjusted up or down....

Old 08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I did the felt dots as someone suggested below and that seems to have worked. Now my dealer put thin rubbery black tape on just about everything in there including the two long clips at the back of the panel and it silenced it for maybe a week. Hopefully the dots are permanent.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

One thing I noticed this morning is that there is a hot spot in my console, towards the driver. The plastic gets quite hot.

I wonder, anyone else get this?

Last edited by pbanks; 08-25-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

I couldn't find your post with the picts and explanation. Could you direct me to it? Would appreciate it if you could.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pbanks
One thing I noticed this morning is that there is a hot spot in my console, towards the driver. The plastic gets quite hot.

I wonder, anyone else get this?
Yes! I noticed that hot spot last week. It happens when my headlights are on, and it does get extremely hot - the bottom left side of the console. It worries me because it gets really hot, not just a little. When I hit 5,000 miles, I'm going to take it to the dealer for an oil change, to fix the squeak, and to check that hot spot. (I'm only at about 3500 miles right now)

Old 08-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmshybrid
I couldn't find your post with the picts and explanation. Could you direct me to it? Would appreciate it if you could.
I will try to get some pictures here showing exactly where the felt dots should be placed and what kind to use. I will have them posted here this weekend. For disassembling, please follow Nash' instructions, they are very clear and easy to do.

Last edited by lovekills; 08-25-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Well, although the noise I heard from my console was very, very minor in comparison to y'alls, I decided to try the cure. The hardest part is getting the courage to dismember a near-virginal car. But, after reading lovekills' post (above), it didn't seem so intimidating. I have heated seats, and it took less than a minute to *carefully* take off the shift ****, the fins, and the horizontal plate. I went to Home Depot before starting, and found they carry a set of ultra-thin Velcro "dots," that proved to be perfect. Eight Velcro dots and two minutes later, I had the patient all sewn up. Time will tell if there is a squeak, chirp, buzz, hum, or oink in my console. But the important thing to know is it's really, really simple to take the thing apart with NO tools needed and virtually no chance of damage unless you're a real monkey about it.

Oh, and while I was at Home Depot, I picked up some heavy-duty self-adhesive felt pads (sold in a 2-pack) in size 4-1/2" x 6" color tan that goes well with either interior. By trimming about 1/8" from the long side, it fit perfectly in the upper tray of the center storage console, so now the keys, candy, gum, etc. in there don't shift around and rattle. The felt seems more grippy than using a mousepad, and it was very easy to trim to size.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is it so simple that a totally non-technical, clumsy person such as myself can do it? I'm afraid I'll get it apart and won't be able to get it back together. Or I might break a plastic clip!

By the way, I am a monkey (Lunar New Year animal), so chances are I might "monkey" it up!! But if it's really that simple, REALLY simple, maybe I'll give it a try...

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console???

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands