Buzzing Noise from A/C Vent ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Enthusiast
Question Buzzing Noise from A/C Vent ??

The past few days I have noticed a buzzing type electronic noise coming from the driver's side vent area in my TCH. I originally thought it might be 'noise' from the iPod via the AUX input, but after unplugging it, listening to fm radio, etc.. that possibility was dismissed. It's a noise coming from the driver's side vent.. Discovered today that if I close the airflow to the vent I can't hear it anymore..or as I close the airflow vent the noise fades away. It seems to only happen when I have airflow going to the face and feet..It's a bit loud - is it something flapping down the tube somewhere? Any suggestions or fixes would be really nice. I haven't investigated it all too much yet .. want to gather some external info before I do so. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 05:37 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Buzzing Noise from A/C Vent ??

The plasmacluster is supposed to generate a buzzing noise from that exact vent (according to the owner's manual), but I've never found mine to be noticeable.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Ah, hm, ok. Has anyone investigated it further than that before? I may just close the vent, since I tend to notice things it seems... Plus, want to enjoy the nice sound system Toyota put in the TCH.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

I get the same noise from that vent every now and again. I assumed it was the plasmacluster cleaning itself or what it is supposed to do. This has been happening for 6 to 8 months

Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Pragmatist

Ion generators do make noise when they are dirty. The high voltage that is needed to generate the ions can make sparks on the gap between the + and - electrodes. If there is foreign material in the gap (lint, dust, or cobwebs), that makes it even more likely to spark.

If you want to try cleaning, be certain the power is turned off, first. There is enough voltage in an ion generator that it can be potentially dangerous.

I have not looked into the physical arrangement of this particular generator. I don't know if it is possible to reach through the vent, or how much disassembly is needed to access the electrodes.