HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Buzzing noise when I brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Buzzing noise when I brake

Hi,
I just bought a brand new 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid last Tuesday, and a couple days after I purchased the car I started noticing a buzzing sound everytime I brake. The noise is apparent even when the radio is on low. I took it to the dealer so they could check it out, and the guy said that it's a normal hybrid noise. Can anybody confirm this for me? I don't recall hearing the noise when I test drove, and I've been in a Prius before and have never heard the sound.

Thank you.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buzzing noise when I brake

is it loud and then gets more silent as you continue braking? If so, does it decrease at a steady rate? If so, then its perfectly normal.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:07 AM
HypoFueler

Yeah - mine has had since 0-25k miles. Its not bad - I think it has to do with regen braking as the car autostops. Note that with the engine OFF, little noises like this seem louder

Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My car also seemed silent on the first couple of days and then it developed the buzzes, beeps and whirs that is often reported on this model. However, mine are easy to tune out and don't pose a distraction. They are relatively quiet and give the car some ambience in the absence of other sound.

Perhaps you do have an issue. Just how bad is it?

Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

So, I paid closer attention today to see whether the buzzing is loud and gets quieter, but that's not the case. It's a 5 second or so sound in which the noise level remains constant.

One more thing I want to mention: I didn't have the AC on at first today, and the buzzing only happened a couple times. When I turned the AC on I could hear the buzzing almost every time I used the brakes. The noise also occurs when I accelerate sometimes.

As far as how loud it is--as I mentioned before, it's audible when the radio is on. It's annoying, but I'd find comfort knowing that this is a typical sound for everyone and not just with my *brand new* car that should be absolutely perfect. :|

Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have same noise from under the driver's side dash. It only happens when first braking, but not all the time. I have not noticed it at other time, but will keep an ear out.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 PM
'Tis but a scratch!

I've also noticed the buzzing when breaking. I've not really found it strange.... It sounds like an electric motor spinning down to me, which is something that I would almost expect. Wither it's the AC or IMA I don't know, but I figured it was one or the other.

But of course, since I don't know, I could not say wither the buzzing is good, bad or indifferent.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

It sounds like an electric motor to me as well....it sounds like it is spinning backwards when slowing down. That probably makes no sense, but I don't know of another way to put that.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Personally, I think it's normal. My '08 and my buddy's '08 both make the exact same noises.

Strangely, our '06 pool car at work does not make this noise. I still say it's normal for an '08 though.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Energy Independence

Mine makes some similar noises. I consider it normal. It's probably normal.