IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Banned
Default Re: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Originally Posted by ButchVA
...I've had exactly zero problems with the car until last week, when the IMA system light came on and stayed on. Today I took it in and the dealer tells me the code indicates I need a new battery...
I hope he gave the code...that reduces the leeway for the dealer to BS...as it is I think Butch is getting a hard time.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

Should have posted this earlier...
Originally Posted by Mike Dabrowski
Can the Insight operate without the IMA system ?
Yes the Insight and Civic can run without the IMA.
The only thing you lose is the 12V battery charging.
This is similar to running a regular car with a bad alternator. Drive at night with the lights on, and in 30 minutes your car stops due to the 12V battery running out of juice.

The IMA battery which is charged by the IMA controller, is the power source for the 12V charging system.

Ways around that issue include:
1. A larger 12V deep cycle battery that you charge off the grid each night could power the car with lights on, for 6 or more hours.
2. Adding an alternator to the car.

Some new input from Carl Brown on this subject:
"Mike,
I noticed on your website FAQ a question about running the
Insight without IMA installed. You might find it interesting that the remaining IMA components will keep the 12V battery charged with the HV battery pack removed, so long as the BCM low voltage connector is also disconnected and the MCM remains fully connected. The only catch is that 12V battery charging is temporarily suspended when engine RPM exceeds 4000.

I am presently replacing my battery pack, so I am using the Insight as a pure-gas car right now (with pretty lousy acceleration)."

WOW learn something new everyday. Thanks Carl.
from http://www.99mpg.com/mima/faq/

Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer

Some new input from Carl Brown on this subject:
"Mike,
I noticed on your website FAQ a question about running the
Insight without IMA installed. You might find it interesting that the remaining IMA components will keep the 12V battery charged with the HV battery pack removed, so long as the BCM low voltage connector is also disconnected and the MCM remains fully connected. The only catch is that 12V battery charging is temporarily suspended when engine RPM exceeds 4000.

from http://www.99mpg.com/mima/faq/
Cool beans, thanks for the info.

Last edited by BigTuna; 06-12-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This would be easy enough to determine. Simply put a volt meter on the 12v battery while the car is running.. 12v or more(12.8-14.8ish)... you're good... less than 12 and dropping.. sounds like trouble..

08feh

Old 06-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

I DO work for a Dealer, so I may get blasted here...but why is it such a big deal considering that the Battery lasted WELL beyond the 80k Warranty coverage and its only 2500 to replace? That gives you ANTOHER 8 years or 80k Miles rather than buying a new car...........so how is this a major issue?

When my 94 Accord EX Coupe threw its timing belt and cost me 2k to fix....I was ok with that because it had 113k Miles on it and now it has 214k Miles on it.....still cost less than a brand new car and it still gets 35 MPG....

Why be mad at Honda is all Im asking and how is buying a New - Used car (that will be more than your battery pack) going to be a better move than fixing the battery?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pana_ginip
Armen is a indian name (i think this is Outsourcing)usally they dont care.they always stick on the policy.try call again try to speak US base costumer service...goodluck
Armen is Armenian, and how can you come to the assumption that the Rep. at the dealership was off-shored?

Last edited by spinner; 06-13-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Sales Guru/CarDeal Mentor

Originally Posted by spinner
Amen is Armenian, and how can you come to the assumption that the Rep. at the dealership was off-shored?

No kidding....

I have a guy here that is named Mohammed Nasr who speaks better english than I do (and I grew up in Hicksville BTW...lol) ....doesnt mean he would give you any different answer than I would...

Old 06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ButchVA
I purchased by 2003 Civic Hybrid (which until this afternoon, I loved) from a private individual in January 2006. It had 48k on it when I purchased it. I've had exactly zero problems with the car until last week, when the IMA system light came on and stayed on. Today I took it in and the dealer tells me the code indicates I need a new battery. He said it had an 8 year/80k mile warranty from Honda, which I understand. He also told me Honda has a reputation for working with people on things like this.

So I called American Honda's customer service number and explained the situation. The gentleman I spoke to said there was nothing he could do since it was out of warranty. I told him what the dealer people had said, and that I've been a loyal Honda customer since 1986. He said that might make a difference, and if I had the VIN's of some or all of the previous Hondas, that would help. I do have the VIN of my 1994 Civic, which had 248,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2006. He promised to have the customer service manager call me back on it.

"Armen" called me back this afternoon, and basically said "sorry Charlie". I'm out of luck. I'm stuck with a car, the heart of which is now dead, and which Honda has no interest in helping me out with. The new (actually remanufactured) battery and labor will be almost $2500. They weren't willing to meet me half way, or basically to give me the time of day. "Armen" didn't ask for my previous VIN, and didn't seem to care that I've been a Honda customer for probably longer than he's been alive.

He said that since I don't have a service history with this car at the local dealer (that's because nothing has broken...), they have no way to know how I've treated the car. I could understand that, except that he's talking about oil changes and tire rotations - none of which has anything whatever to do with the maintenance-free IMA system.

So basically, I'm stuck. I have an IMA battery that's on its way out, and I'm stuck for $2500 worth of repair on a five year old car that I only paid $13k for.

As I told "Armen" - this is my last Honda. I'll talk to Toyota from now on. He didn't seem to give a rat's behind about losing a customer over $1000 worth of customer service good will. If he'd even said they'd knock $500 off of it, I'd have been elated. Instead, he dug in his heels and has lost a customer of almost 25 years standing.

I hope you all enjoy your Civic Hybrids. I'm in the market for a used Prius at the moment.

Butch

If you decide to get a whole new pack etc, send me a PM, I'll take your old one. I can use it to learn more about the HCH battery which might benefit others in the future.

Chris

Old 06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
If you decide to get a whole new pack etc, send me a PM, I'll take your old one. I can use it to learn more about the HCH battery which might benefit others in the future.
Virginia to California, that would be a pretty penny to ship.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Hey: I am in MD: I will even give you some $$ for the dead one, just to do the dissection, and post.

Quick Reply: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands