IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Banned
Default Re: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since the IMA is also the alternator, essentially it's like driving a conventional car with a failed alternator with the IMA light on. In other words, the Civic is drivable as long as the 12-battery holds a charge - meaning you would have to charge in nightly.

My source is Mike Dabrowski at www.99mpg.com

....and a earnestly hope someone at Honda comes thru.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but since the IMA is also the alternator, essentially it's like driving a conventional car with a failed alternator with the IMA light on. In other words, the Civic is drivable as long as the 12-battery holds a charge - meaning you would have to charge in nightly.

The motor is permanently mounted to the engine, so if the engine is on, the motor (alternator) is turning and generating electricity. This would allow the 12V battery to be recharged.

So, even if your NiMH battery is dead, the IMA motor should still be able to generate electricity and recharge the 12V battery.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Afraid I'd still agree with Mike D (electrical engineer, inventor of MIMA) on this.

The IMA motor may still be spinning, but why is the IMA light on? Is it bad batteries? (P1440), is it a bad Battery Control Module or BCM? Under the rear seat is the traction battery and numerous units supporing it - most of the IMA system. Among other things it has the 12/144 volt inverter - if that's not working for any reason, the 12-volt system is NOT being charged.

I'd plug a tool into the OBDII socked with something like ScanGage to get the code to get a more specific idea of the IMA failure.

Until then, I would not bet the Civic is driveable over the long term.

Honestly hope to be wrong, but would hate for this situation to be even worse.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pBen
Regarding the battery pack. In California our warranty is 15 years/150,000 miles. The standard I guess is 80/8yr.
I'm almost certain that the California warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles on the battery...

Yep here it is from Honda's site:

Q: What kind of warranty does the Civic Hybrid have?
A: The Civic Hybrid comes with a 3-year/36,000-mile limited warranty and 5-year/60,000-mile limited drive-train warranty, just like every other Honda. Its IMA battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty, or a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty in CA, CT, MA, ME, NY, RI or VT.† See your dealer for details.

Last edited by BigTuna; 06-12-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

The IMA and CEL' on my car were going on and off when my battery went out. I waited a good 2 months - and drove almost 3,000 miles or so.

During that time, I noticed the battery depleting quickly, but never did my mpg suffer more than 2-3 mpg. Car also started up fine, never was anything effected.

I dont know the severity of my battery pack - but hell, I would just go out and buy a functioning unit from a salvaged car.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

It totally depends on why the IMA light is on. I'm pretty sure that the Hondas will run fine without the traction pack, so long as the other IMA components are working.

This contrasts with Toyota. HSD equipped vehicles need all the main HSD components functioning, including the big battery for the car to work. Only way to back up a Prius is pure electric, they got no reverse gear.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spinner
You were never guaranteed a battery pack free from failure for the lifetime of the car.
It is curious that anyone would expect a car to be warrantied like new after 5 years and 100k plus miles. We are all lucky the 8 year /80,000 mile warrant is as long as it is and that it isn't pro-rated, like a normal 12v battery warranty. Would you expect to have your 12v battery replaced for free or at a discount after 5 years and 100,000 miles? Why is the big battery any different?

Old 06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigTuna
It totally depends on why the IMA light is on. I'm pretty sure that the Hondas will run fine without the traction pack, so long as the other IMA components are working.
And that answer can be found probably for free.

AutoZone I believe reads codes off the OBDII socket for free...it's under the steering column most likely. Once the code is known, you can goole it and get a better idea of what you are up against and know if it's safe to drive the Civic.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

And that answer can be found probably for free.

AutoZone I believe reads codes off the OBDII socket for free...it's under the steering column most likely. Once the code is known, you can goole it and get a better idea of what you are up against and know if it's safe to drive the Civic.
Or maybe we already know?

Originally Posted by ButchVA
the dealer tells me the code indicates I need a new battery.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Personally:
If my IMA light came on, taken it to the dealer and diagnosed a failing pack out of warranty- I'd still drive it with the IMA light on.

-Steve
Good advice, near as I can tell. Driving the car as is and searching for alternatives to the $2500 pack replacement might be a valid option.

Quick Reply: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands