IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

How dare Honda make reliable and fuel efficicent cars with eight year warranties and then LOWER the cost of a replacement battery for those cars out of warranty!!

I am appalled and will only drive magic carpets that meet my every desire from now on!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Some of the (rare) Prius owners with out-of-warranty hybrid battery problems have found salvage batteries in good condition for less than $1K. I have no idea what the salvage market is like for Honda batteries, but it might be worth a search of Ebay and other potential sources.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

A friend of mine with an Insight had his batteries replaced free of charge at the exact mileage a few months ago.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you feel like being brave you could find someone who is good with electronics. The battery pack itself isn't "dead" only one or two of the cells are crapping out (they are wired in series, it only take one bad one to cause a problem).

You could negtiate with said electronics expert to remove the pack, open it up and check each cell, when you find the bad one(s) remove them and replace them with new ones (at a cost of $10-12 each) and re-assemble. The cost of the parts is cheap, it will be the labor that costs.

Your pack should be good for at least another 25k miles maybe another 50k miles.

good luck.

Originally Posted by ButchVA
I purchased by 2003 Civic Hybrid (which until this afternoon, I loved) from a private individual in January 2006. It had 48k on it when I purchased it. I've had exactly zero problems with the car until last week, when the IMA system light came on and stayed on. Today I took it in and the dealer tells me the code indicates I need a new battery. He said it had an 8 year/80k mile warranty from Honda, which I understand. He also told me Honda has a reputation for working with people on things like this.

So I called American Honda's customer service number and explained the situation. The gentleman I spoke to said there was nothing he could do since it was out of warranty. I told him what the dealer people had said, and that I've been a loyal Honda customer since 1986. He said that might make a difference, and if I had the VIN's of some or all of the previous Hondas, that would help. I do have the VIN of my 1994 Civic, which had 248,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2006. He promised to have the customer service manager call me back on it.

"Armen" called me back this afternoon, and basically said "sorry Charlie". I'm out of luck. I'm stuck with a car, the heart of which is now dead, and which Honda has no interest in helping me out with. The new (actually remanufactured) battery and labor will be almost $2500. They weren't willing to meet me half way, or basically to give me the time of day. "Armen" didn't ask for my previous VIN, and didn't seem to care that I've been a Honda customer for probably longer than he's been alive.

He said that since I don't have a service history with this car at the local dealer (that's because nothing has broken...), they have no way to know how I've treated the car. I could understand that, except that he's talking about oil changes and tire rotations - none of which has anything whatever to do with the maintenance-free IMA system.

So basically, I'm stuck. I have an IMA battery that's on its way out, and I'm stuck for $2500 worth of repair on a five year old car that I only paid $13k for.

As I told "Armen" - this is my last Honda. I'll talk to Toyota from now on. He didn't seem to give a rat's behind about losing a customer over $1000 worth of customer service good will. If he'd even said they'd knock $500 off of it, I'd have been elated. Instead, he dug in his heels and has lost a customer of almost 25 years standing.

I hope you all enjoy your Civic Hybrids. I'm in the market for a used Prius at the moment.

Butch

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

There is a definite source for single cells?

Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
If you feel like being brave you could find someone who is good with electronics. The battery pack itself isn't "dead" only one or two of the cells are crapping out (they are wired in series, it only take one bad one to cause a problem).

You could negtiate with said electronics expert to remove the pack, open it up and check each cell, when you find the bad one(s) remove them and replace them with new ones (at a cost of $10-12 each) and re-assemble. The cost of the parts is cheap, it will be the labor that costs.

Your pack should be good for at least another 25k miles maybe another 50k miles.

good luck.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by privatejoker
There is a definite source for single cells?

Perhaps these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=325

Although they are rated for a max 50A drain; they might last a couple of years with peaks as high as 100A that the HCH sees (only at full throttle with full assist).
Alteratively two of these cells could be wired in parallel and substituted in place of a single bad old cell, they would then only see 50A max current discharge which is within their spec. (this would probably entail having the batteries outside their normal mount and wired in somewhat remotely).

Old 06-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Enthusiast

I would advise you to keep trying American Honda and your local dealers. If you are persistent, you will eventually find someone who will either give you a discount on the battery or labor. I would personally invest the money on the battery.

Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holicow
A friend of mine with an Insight had his batteries replaced free of charge at the exact mileage a few months ago.
Like I said....

Keep trying. Try a different dealer. Call the regional service rep. Whatever it takes. Honda understands the negative PR surrounding the battery issue and will likely do the right thing.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

Armen is a indian name (i think this is Outsourcing)usally they dont care.they always stick on the policy.try call again try to speak US base costumer service...goodluck

Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Personally:
If my IMA light came on, taken it to the dealer and diagnosed a failing pack out of warranty- I'd still drive it with the IMA light on.

From what you wrote, everything else works fine- the only indication is a dashboard light.

I am no expert, but I assume one can still drive the HCH just fine until the pack develops internal shorts and resistance, which is likely thousands and thousands of miles from that point.
Mine has 121,000 miles, I put on more than 35,000/yr. Fact that it's an assist system was one of it's selling points for me. The car is still very drivable with a nearly flat IMA battery.

I paid about $18,500 for my new HCH in Jan 2004. If I really just couldn't take it anymore I'd be willing to pay the $2,500 for another 120,000 worth. It's not just the batteries they replace, but the various controllers as well.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 06-12-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: IMA battery dead at 109k. Honda USA worthless...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands