New commuter loop record today - 39.3mpg / 22.1mi

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Rarely post anything
Default New commuter loop record today - 39.3mpg / 22.1mi

Just thought I'd share, as I'm really pleased at this figure, knowing that I'll see further improvement once we get our 'summer gas' supplies in.

It's been warmer here all week. Looks like it's been good for about a 2 - 2.5mpg increase. Usually, my trip into work (35-45mph, 0% highway) tops out at 32-34mpg, with a best of 37 a few weeks ago. I've gotten no lower than 35-36 this week, equaled my all time best of 37 yesterday, and today - 39.3mpg as I pulled into the office park where I worked.

Traffic was a little lighter than usual, given the Friday, and I did catch a couple of fortuitous breaks (lights) - but it wasn't a 'perfect' commute, etc.

Now I'm thinking that I will break 40mpg this spring / summer - and if I do that, I will have effectively doubled my mileage over the '01 AV6 coupe (23-24mpg in mixed city/highway). Well, 73.9% improvement, anyway...but who's counting...

Really makes me feel like the purchase of this car was justified (granted, my driving habits have changed, and had I been incorporating the techniques I now use with the old car, I would have had better mileage with it, as well. But the hybrid motivated me to change - I thought I was doing 'just fine' before, and never knew better).

Old 04-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mark,
Your regular commute mpg sounds similar to mine, though our route conditions are different. Mine is 40 miles each way, town starts and finishes (traffic light variables on both ends), in the middle fairly light traffic moving 55-65 with occasional morning stops for school bus loading and a couple of 45 mph zones for a mile or two. Temps have been 40s at night with days 50-60 for a few weeks. I've been seeing 32-34 mpg pretty regularly, almost always +2 mpg on the return trip because of elevation (though a strong southerly can quash the downhill advantage).

Good to hear about your 39 and 37 experience, since it suggests the HAH can beat the lower 30s. I really didn't (and don't) know what to make of the 40.1 mpg I got on a 50+ mile trip yesterday, not a regular route so I'm not sure of the variables (elevation? tailwind?), but the number sure got my attention. Very interested in hearing updates on your commute numbers. Thanks for sharing them.
Lewis

Old 04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Contributor ($)

I just did a 100 mile loop this morning: 50% 65mph divided hwy, 45% mostly flat rural roads and 5% city driving.
Results: 39.0 mpg.
Not bad for an Accord Hybrid with only 2000 miles on it.

I saw it at 39.7 mpg at the end of the first 50 miles but I was a bit more aggressive on the way back. (...must...resist...speeding...)

Old 04-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
Really makes me feel like the purchase of this car was justified (granted, my driving habits have changed, and had I been incorporating the techniques I now use with the old car, I would have had better mileage with it, as well. But the hybrid motivated me to change - I thought I was doing 'just fine' before, and never knew better).
Whoa! That's EXACTLY what I've told people - virtually verbatim. I wonder what my old car would have gotten, but... it doesn't matter. My driving habits wouldn't have changed.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ericbecky
I saw it at 39.7 mpg at the end of the first 50 miles but I was a bit more aggressive on the way back. (...must...resist...speeding...)
"mmmmmm...255 hp...."

Homer

Old 04-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributor ($)

lewis,
(...must...resist...speeding...)
Homer Simpson's voice is exactly what I think of when I say this!

Old 04-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi GreenandBlue:

___About all I can add is nice job and you still have a few more mpg’s to wring out of her but wait for one of those 75 - 80 degree summer days with our summer gas that you know is coming. I bet you will achieve VCM mode by the time you are pulling out of the parking lot. Afterwards, watch that baby sing her tune all the way home … Might I suggest that you start taking the digital camera with you for those special trips

___Great job and Good Luck!

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net