Rustproofing: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Rustproofing: Should I or Shouldn't I?

I just purchased a new Honda Accord Hyrbrid (without Navigation System, sadly). Since I usually keep my cars for at least 10 years (the one I traded in was 12 years old, my other car is 16 years old), I have always gotten rustproofing done in the past.

However, I've been reading that there are a lot of conflicting opinions on whether it is something that is good to do on newer cars or not.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as this issue was concerned. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Rustproofing: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Scifience - congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the ranks of hybrid owners!

I can't see from your profile where you're located. Because that's what I'd base my advice on - Do you live in a heavy snow belt state ? Somewhere with lots of salt air ? I might think about it, then. In sunny AZ ? Don't bother.

Honda had some legendary problems with rust until the early nineties (I had an '86 Accord hatch that succumbed to rust moreso than mechanical failure, back in '93-'95 timeframe). These days, pretty much all manufacturers use galvanized steel, and give their cars sizeable corrosion warranties (Honda's current warranty is 5yrs, unlimited mileage, per their warranty booklet (pp32)).

I live in N. IL, and we get a decent amount of snow, and even more road salt. That being said, I didn't rustproof my '97 GrandPrix, or my '01 Accord. And save for a tiny spot on the roof (!) of the Accord where it incurred stone damage (long story), I had no real problems with corrosion. With that in mind, I have not rustproofed my new HAH, and doubt that I will.

One thing I *did* do was have the 3M paint protection film ('clear bra') installed. Honda's paint these days chips off rather easily; there were so many nicks & cuts on the front end of my '01 Accord, that I resolved to avoid having that happen to my next car.

Old 04-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
One thing I *did* do was have the 3M paint protection film ('clear bra') installed. Honda's paint these days chips off rather easily; there were so many nicks & cuts on the front end of my '01 Accord, that I resolved to avoid having that happen to my next car.
Can you see that AT ALL? I'm considering having it done, as well. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay? I'm looking at about $550 - seems high, but I've no reference.

Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Rarely post anything

If you're specifically *looking* for evidence of it on the car (mine's the Desert Mist; may vary on darker or lighter colors, probably lighter), you can see it on the hood line (because it comes up about a foot on the hood). But to the casual observer / passer-by, they'll never know anything was on there.

I've had it on just a couple of weeks now. Mine was $180 installed for the 'standard' kit (18" across front of hood, trim pieces adjacent to grille, side mirrors).

The kits come precut to size, for specific model.

There are two other kits available - the 'long hood' kit, which comes up about halfway up the hood, rest is as the 'standard' kit; and the 'lower fascia / grille' kit. Both of these were quoted at $480 installed. I decided to live with the 'standard' kit for a bit before popping $480 for something that I didn't see on a lot of cars, and so had no point of reference for longevity, etc.

Believe it or not, I already had two tiny chips in the paint by the time I had this installed. One, I knew about, and used a touchup pen on it; the other was unbeknownst to me. Both were level with the rest of the paint surface after install (the film covered both areas).

Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Scifience - congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the ranks of hybrid owners!
Thank you! I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I can't see from your profile where you're located. Because that's what I'd base my advice on - Do you live in a heavy snow belt state ? Somewhere with lots of salt air ? I might think about it, then. In sunny AZ ? Don't bother.
I live in Cleveland, Ohio (where we got 3" of snow yesterday!). I'd definately say we get a lot of snow, and the roads are heavily salted all winter. I'll update my profile to show that as well.

I'll have to look into that; the dealer offered it, but I thought it was a gimmick just like all the other junk they tried to shove at me.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!