Misspelling on the Navigation Warning Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributor ($)
Default Misspelling on the Navigation Warning Message

Here’s one that has me grinning…

Has any one else noticed the misspelling in the Navigation system warning message?

Third paragraph says:
“Always obey all traffic laws and exercise
your own good judgement.”

There correct spelling is judgment. No extra “e”.

Where were the spellcheckers when this message was created?

Old 03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Site Founder

Actually, both are correct. This may be one of those everyone-makes-that-mistake-so-we'll-make-it-official things

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=judgement

Old 03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Rarely post anything

The HAH must be a pretty good car, if this is the one nit you can find, Eric...lol.

To tell you the truth, I never noticed 'judgement' to be wrong - because that's the way *I* spell it (and my spell check at work always flags it, and I always let it correct it, and I thank the programmers for spell check )

While both are technically allowed, the version without the 'e' looks like the preferred spelling according to Merriam-Webster: Judgement (preferred spelling is always listed first) - so Eric's technically right. If you type in the version with the 'e', the entry for the one *without* shows up.

But what I noticed about the disclaimer, as Eric quotes it, is the *syntax* of the sentence... "your own good judgement" (had to doublecheck that one, there...lol). Two alternate ways, each sounding better in 'american standard' english, would be "your own judgement", or "good judgement". When you put *both* 'own' and 'good', it flags it as a translation by someone not intricately familiar with the nuances of our language. That phrasing is more in line with occidental languages.

Am I an English professor ? Hardly. But I've read enough english translations by Asian interpreters to recognize this (if you ever buy goods made in China requiring some form of user assembly, you'll know what I mean by this). No slight intended to the Asians; it would be the same as if we shipped them goods and tried writing instructions in kanji. We'd *think* we had it just right, but probably would have room for improvement.

That being said, on a $30K purchase, I'd want Alpine / Honda to catch this in QC before being sent out to customers - I'm sure we're not the only ones who have noticed these things

Old 03-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Site Founder

Who reads that screen, anyway? Not I, said the fly. Manufacturers are people, too

Old 04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Contributor ($)

The reason it caught my eye is because on some message boards (not here, thankfully!) the spellcheck police seem to be in full force. I thought it may give them something to enjoy.