HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

My IMA Replacement Story

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default My IMA Replacement Story

I figured I would share my IMA replacement story. I purchased my 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid new while I lived in Florida. Over the years, I noticed the IMA battery getting progressively weaker. I don't think the Orlando heat helped any in the matter.

Last year I moved to WI and finally broke down and had the software update done despite all of the rumors that it would make the car even worse. It did, but I don't blame the software, I blame the already very weak IMA battery. Now it was recalibrating every day, twice a day. Especially after a cold start where the car had sat for 8 hours or more.

The first trip back to the dealer to complain about it, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I then took a video and posted it on YouTube before I took it in for another try to convince them that something was wrong. I had to emphasize that the car had to sit for 8 hours before they could reproduce the issue. I had to get a rental in order to leave my car for a couple of days, but I though it was worth it if they actually fixed the issue. The tech was great. He pulled up the video on YouTube and now understood what to look for. I guess I had a difficult time explaining to them what my problem was. It isn't the easiest thing to explain. Over the next two days he was able to reproduce the issue and Honda agreed to replace my IMA battery.

I feel like I have a new car again. I was getting so frustrated with the car, I was getting ready to sell it. But I was struggling with the thought of selling it to an unsuspecting buyer. I justified it because Honda was telling me that nothing was wrong with the car. But now I don't have to worry about it any longer. I will be keeping the car for many years to come as long as it continues to perform.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My IMA Replacement Story

I am surprised they went for a new pack with-out the IMA light being on! You have a good dealer. My 06 HCH2 has been a great auto since my purchase, I love it. H

Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Arrow Re: My IMA Replacement Story

Originally Posted by Harold
I am surprised they went for a new pack with-out the IMA light being on!
Harold, my dealer also replaced my IMA pack without the IMA light being on. But the dealer was easily able to reproduce the symptoms.

I had come prepared in a similar manner to the OP, having used my iPad to record several videos from cold start to IMA recal (requiring just a couple of blocks of driving)... never needed to show the videos, fortunately.

Maybe Honda is improving in their management of this issue.

It occurred to me that the expense of a replacement IMA pack should ultimately fall on the battery manufacturer, which caused me to wonder why Honda wouldn't be more aggressive on the customers' behalf. What is known about the company that manufactures the IMA packs?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Default Re: My IMA Replacement Story

Panasonic maybe? Or do they make the pack for the Prius? I have heard, but i am having a 60's moment! H