Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.
View Poll Results: Do You Agree With the Story Oversized SUV's Are History?
Yes, in five years they will be dated
12.50%
Qualified yes - No longer the "hot vehicle", but still seen occasionally
62.50%
No, the target market is determined to have them
25.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Agree With Story That Jumbo SUV's Are History?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Banned
Default Agree With Story That Jumbo SUV's Are History?

Read MSNBC Story, then vote.

It says the oversized SUV is history. What defines that is subject to question, but I think it's safe to say they are refering to ones over 6,000 pounds and seat at least six.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:26 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: Agree With Story That Jumbo SUV's Are History?

from the article:
"At GM, the company is hoping to halt the sales slide with a new lineup of full-size SUVs, due for release in 2006. GM says its 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe, Cadillac Escalade and other models that will be released next year get 20 miles to the gallon in highway driving, making them the most fuel efficient in their class. "

big whoop......i hope they all vanish from the face of the earth. the reason people use them is that they were convinced by the car makers that they needed them. i heard my daughter last weekend say she drives her nissan van because she can't possibly fit all her stuff in her ford focus. yet she opened up the van and there was nothing in there that wouldn't have gone quite nicely in the small car. somehow i have done without a huge vehicle my whole life, even when i took 3 weeks of vacation and crammed everything i needed, including my bike, tent and camping supplies in my 93 civic.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Engineering Professor

And I once fit 9 teanagers into my 1963 TR4 . When I have to move my son (and before that, my daughter) in/out of his college dorm, I fill both my Prius and my wife's Subaru Outback (with car top carrier) to full capacity for the 2.5 hour trip to/from Boston (each way). Of course one solution to this periodic problem is to rent a van for the day.

JeffD

Old 12-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
...Of course one solution to this periodic problem is to rent a van for the day...
That is a very business-like solution.

You would not believe the small businesses that custom-paint a Hummer in Dallas....embroidery?!

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 12-16-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:33 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
That is a very business-like solution.

You would not believe the small businesses that custom-paint a Hummer in Dallas....embroidery?!

real estate. nothing like rubbing your nose in it.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:41 AM
World's First Hybrid

Wonder if I'm the only real estate agent in MA that drives a hybrid?

Some agents, although they don't make much money, will buy/lease a large "status" vehicle to impress their clients.....hmmm. Wonder what kind of signal I'm sending?

When it snows, I stay in the house. If you're driving some client around in a snowstorm and get into an accident, it would be a lawsuit for sure...besides, no one looks at houses in the snow. They're all hunkered down like me.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Ralphdog:

___I did not know you were a Real Estate agent but driving a Prius makes a great statement! It may not have the room of other automobiles many agents may use but to an uninformed hybrid/prospective home buyer and your knowledge of the Prius II, I bet you make a very good living talking more about your car then the house(s) you are going to sell to said prospective buyers!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Question for Delta Flyer: Is the GM plant in Arlington (SH 360 @ Abram) still in business? It's been almost 11 years since I moved from there, so I don't recall what type(s) of vehicle it made.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
Question for Delta Flyer: Is the GM plant in Arlington (SH 360 @ Abram) still in business? It's been almost 11 years since I moved from there, so I don't recall what type(s) of vehicle it made.
OMG! I knew they made the Tahoe, but it's every GM Jumbo SUV other than the Hummer. I should not be suprized as Dallas/Fort Worth is the SUV/Power Truck Mecca.

Originally Posted by article
GMC Yukon, GMC Yukon XL, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, and Cadillac Escalade
This is the entire article with a history of the Arlington GM plant.

Another local note: Ted Vandergriff, the Arlington mayor that brought that GM plant, Six Flags, and the Texas Rangers to move there, is going to retire from politics next year when he will be 80.

Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think if your clients know it is a hybrid they will not think less of you. However the problem is (both good and bad) is that it looks like a normal Civic on the outside.

Civic is a good car, certainly not crappy but not particularly impressionable either.

Here in San Diego, which has had the hottest housing market in the US, most real estate agents drive BMW/Mercedes.

Mercedes is making a hybrid, but I would be worried about reliability.

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Wonder if I'm the only real estate agent in MA that drives a hybrid?

Some agents, although they don't make much money, will buy/lease a large "status" vehicle to impress their clients.....hmmm. Wonder what kind of signal I'm sending?

When it snows, I stay in the house. If you're driving some client around in a snowstorm and get into an accident, it would be a lawsuit for sure...besides, no one looks at houses in the snow. They're all hunkered down like me.

Quick Reply: Agree With Story That Jumbo SUV's Are History?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands