Yukon Hybrid No start after not being used for 2 months

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2023, 07:37 PM
???
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Yukon Hybrid No start after not being used for 2 months

can your scanner see the individual cell voltage from the hybrid pack? that might tell something.

as it is, I honestly don't know if your pack is just flat dead is why it won't jump assist charge or if you have another problem.

I just scrolled up to see your truck has 50k miles and it's a 09. it's spent a lot of time sitting around without running. I don't know what effect that would have on the battery.

I've seen threads about guys taking the battery apart and charging each cell with a special charger. it takes a long time, but it might work?

Keith.s would know more about reviving very dead cells, if it can be done. he might know by the voltage if that's possible or not.

Old 11-20-2023, 08:57 PM
Enthusiast

No this particular launch scanner can't determine the voltage of each pack. Would you know where ti get the special charger to charge each of the modules individually?

Old 11-21-2023, 04:24 AM
???
Active Enthusiast

this thread shows how to using torque app on a android phone and a 25$ obd2 dongle to see stuff like cell voltage, state of charge, battery cell Temps and fan rpm. current into and out of the battery. useful stuff, I pull the app up randomly to see how mine is doing.

​​​​​​you could also pop the top off the pack and test with a meter if you're comfortable with working around the pack.

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...results-31736/

as for charging, anything I say with just be stuff I've read in threads on this site. you can scroll thru a few here to see what all was used. but look for Keith.s as he seems to have a lot of first hand knowledge about charging and referbing these cells. I honestly don't know if a cheap rc car battery charger that has settings for charging older nickel metal hydride batteries would do it or if you need a more expensive changer designed for car batteries in your case.

Old 11-21-2023, 04:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is no refurbing modules in a GM. The vehicle damages them.

The least expensive method for charging is with a low current LED power supply that takes about 24 hours to fully charge the battery. The equipment used in the FEH jump start thread is suitable:

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...ry-jump-31056/

Old 11-24-2023, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
There is no refurbing modules in a GM. The vehicle damages them.

The least expensive method for charging is with a low current LED power supply that takes about 24 hours to fully charge the battery. The equipment used in the FEH jump start thread is suitable:

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...ry-jump-31056/
Ordered that maxwell charger already and I will get back to you with updates. Do you have a sample photo on how I can connect the maxwell charger onto the GM's hybrid battery? Many thanks!!

Last edited by gucci88; 11-24-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gucci88
Ordered that maxwell charger already and I will get back to you with updates. Do you have a sample photo on how I can connect the maxwell charger onto the GM's hybrid battery? Many thanks!!
I hope you mean meanwell.

At each end of the battery is a relay. Those relays isolate the battery from the car when off. You'll want to connect to the battery side of the relay. If you connect to the other side of the relay, the battery will not be charged.

You can connect at the relay or directly at the last module.

Make sure you confirm polarity with a voltmeter.

All terminal and relay nuts are torqued to 48 in-lb. Ensure you re-torque them to this level.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry I meant meanwell. Thank you for the photos. I will try to do it once the charger arrives.

Old 11-24-2023, 05:25 PM

Sorry I meant meanwell. Thank you for the photos. I will try to do it once the charger arrives.
I trust you purchased a suitable DIODE as well?

Old 12-04-2023, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I trust you purchased a suitable DIODE as well?
Yes Keith I have purchased 3 1n5399 diodes. Would these be wired in a similar way to the one in the FEH post? Maybe you have a photo of all of them connected up

Old 12-04-2023, 06:09 PM

Yes Keith I have purchased 3 1n5399 diodes. Would these be wired in a similar way to the one in the FEH post? Maybe you have a photo of all of them connected up
Only one is needed. I don't have a picture..

Connect diode to end of the (+) output of the power supply. The stripe is on the OPPOSITE side away from the power supply, i.e., when connected, the diode stripe will be on the battery side.

You can connect it on the (-) output as well, but the stripe would be on the power supply side.

Quick Reply: Yukon Hybrid No start after not being used for 2 months

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands