2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 10:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Wont Start

Ive got a few questions on the 42V (3 12V Lead Acid batteries).... Can they be charged up like a regular 12V with jumper cables? If not, is it possible I can have a list of everything I need to do to get it to a regular gas vehicle? Bypassing the hybrid system all together? Money isnt an issue im already deep in this hole.

Old 07-22-2022, 04:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Wont Start

It sounds like maybe your truck just has an engine start/stop feature?
If it is using 3 separate 12v batteries I would just disconnect them and charge each one separately with a standard battery charger.
The Key would be to disconnect them before charging since we do not presently know exactly how this system is controlled, and we do not want to burn up some discreet control module or something.
Treat it like a Doctors Oath DO NO HARM LOL

Old 07-22-2022, 05:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeketay
Ive got a few questions on the 42V (3 12V Lead Acid batteries).... Can they be charged up like a regular 12V with jumper cables? If not, is it possible I can have a list of everything I need to do to get it to a regular gas vehicle? Bypassing the hybrid system all together? Money isnt an issue im already deep in this hole.
3 * 12V = 36V

3 * 14V = 42V.

As I understand it, it is 3X 7 cell (14V) batteries in series. They can't be charged with jumper cables.

Old 07-22-2022, 08:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zeketay
Best I can tell the 2006 GM hybrid trucks were considered a mild hybrid and it was a retrofit but I could not find not many details online. I did see a video where it shows an inverter under the hood and cables coming up and mentioned an electric motor as part of the transmission.and it also stated that this was a factory "RETROFIT" The retrofit designation does seem to hint that it could be UN-retrofitted. I think that if you keep digging online you may possibly find someone whom has successfully removed the Frankenstein equipment on one of these, I seriously doubt that you are the only one considering it since it is looks like a huge amount of overkill for the addition of a start/stop system!. Good Luck man.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

Have a solution for everyone with the “42v” battery issue. So as we all know the hv1255 are no longer in production for the public.
long story after real world testing

these are really just regular 12v lead acid batteries. So it’s really a 36v system I have tested and verified it

I removed the 3 batteries and modified the case to fit 3 batteries I don’t remember the bci code off the top of my head but their regular 12v lead acid 550ca 60ah each. I transferred all the connections to the new battery’s temp stents ect and it starts right up runs and drives fine no errors ect. This is not exactly a diy project there are physical modifications required and knowledge required about electrical systems, temperatures and PROPER VENTILATION

Old 12-05-2023, 06:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

No they can't be charged with jumper cables

Last edited by chima lecci; 12-06-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Everyone please report user "chima lecci". Makes useless posts to edit at a later date and include spam links. Check all previous posts, if you don't believe me.

Old 01-23-2024, 07:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robbythebadass
Have a solution for everyone with the “42v” battery issue. So as we all know the hv1255 are no longer in production for the public.
long story after real world testing

these are really just regular 12v lead acid batteries. So it’s really a 36v system I have tested and verified it

I removed the 3 batteries and modified the case to fit 3 batteries I don’t remember the bci code off the top of my head but their regular 12v lead acid 550ca 60ah each. I transferred all the connections to the new battery’s temp stents ect and it starts right up runs and drives fine no errors ect. This is not exactly a diy project there are physical modifications required and knowledge required about electrical systems, temperatures and PROPER VENTILATION
I am trying to do the same thing with my 2005 GMC Sierra hybrid. Can you give details and maybe some pictures about the batteries used and the mods to the case where the hybrid batteriesnare stored under the back seat.