Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   GM Hybrid Trucks, Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid & GMC Yukon Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/)
-   -   2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Wont Start (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/gm-hybrid-trucks-cadillac-escalade-hybrid-chevrolet-tahoe-hybrid-gmc-yukon-hybrid-69/2006-chevy-silverado-hybrid-wont-start-33058/)

zeketay 07-16-2022 10:47 AM

2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Wont Start

Ive got a few questions on the 42V (3 12V Lead Acid batteries).... Can they be charged up like a regular 12V with jumper cables? If not, is it possible I can have a list of everything I need to do to get it to a regular gas vehicle? Bypassing the hybrid system all together? Money isnt an issue im already deep in this hole.

dnt1010 07-22-2022 04:47 PM

Re: 2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Wont Start

It sounds like maybe your truck just has an engine start/stop feature?
If it is using 3 separate 12v batteries I would just disconnect them and charge each one separately with a standard battery charger.
The Key would be to disconnect them before charging since we do not presently know exactly how this system is controlled, and we do not want to burn up some discreet control module or something.
Treat it like a Doctors Oath DO NO HARM LOL

S Keith 07-22-2022 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by zeketay (Post 275539)
Ive got a few questions on the 42V (3 12V Lead Acid batteries).... Can they be charged up like a regular 12V with jumper cables? If not, is it possible I can have a list of everything I need to do to get it to a regular gas vehicle? Bypassing the hybrid system all together? Money isnt an issue im already deep in this hole.

3 * 12V = 36V

3 * 14V = 42V.

As I understand it, it is 3X 7 cell (14V) batteries in series. They can't be charged with jumper cables.

dnt1010 07-22-2022 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by zeketay (Post 275539)

Best I can tell the 2006 GM hybrid trucks were considered a mild hybrid and it was a retrofit but I could not find not many details online. I did see a video where it shows an inverter under the hood and cables coming up and mentioned an electric motor as part of the transmission.and it also stated that this was a factory "RETROFIT" The retrofit designation does seem to hint that it could be UN-retrofitted. I think that if you keep digging online you may possibly find someone whom has successfully removed the Frankenstein equipment on one of these, I seriously doubt that you are the only one considering it since it is looks like a huge amount of overkill for the addition of a start/stop system!. Good Luck man.

Robbythebadass 10-12-2023 07:21 PM

Have a solution for everyone with the “42v” battery issue. So as we all know the hv1255 are no longer in production for the public.
long story after real world testing

these are really just regular 12v lead acid batteries. So it’s really a 36v system I have tested and verified it

I removed the 3 batteries and modified the case to fit 3 batteries I don’t remember the bci code off the top of my head but their regular 12v lead acid 550ca 60ah each. I transferred all the connections to the new battery’s temp stents ect and it starts right up runs and drives fine no errors ect. This is not exactly a diy project there are physical modifications required and knowledge required about electrical systems, temperatures and PROPER VENTILATION

chima lecci 12-05-2023 06:46 AM

No they can't be charged with jumper cables

Jaime 12-05-2023 08:33 PM

Everyone please report user "chima lecci". Makes useless posts to edit at a later date and include spam links. Check all previous posts, if you don't believe me.

Iamdito 01-23-2024 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Robbythebadass (Post 277588)
Have a solution for everyone with the “42v” battery issue. So as we all know the hv1255 are no longer in production for the public.
long story after real world testing

these are really just regular 12v lead acid batteries. So it’s really a 36v system I have tested and verified it

I removed the 3 batteries and modified the case to fit 3 batteries I don’t remember the bci code off the top of my head but their regular 12v lead acid 550ca 60ah each. I transferred all the connections to the new battery’s temp stents ect and it starts right up runs and drives fine no errors ect. This is not exactly a diy project there are physical modifications required and knowledge required about electrical systems, temperatures and PROPER VENTILATION

I am trying to do the same thing with my 2005 GMC Sierra hybrid. Can you give details and maybe some pictures about the batteries used and the mods to the case where the hybrid batteriesnare stored under the back seat.