C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

All - my wife's 2010 FEH Limited has started a new issue in the last few weeks - Cluster lights for ABS+Traction Control+Brakes illuminate. However, NO brake pedal or braking performance issues. Turn the FEH off and then on again, and the lights clear, and then can sometimes drive a day or two before it happens again, and sometimes its 5 minutes later and the Brakes lights come on. I put FORScan on it and pulled an ABS module DTC code of C1029:00-AB (Dashboard) and C1029:00-68 in the DTC menu =f "ABS Primary Circuit Pressure lower than Secondary". So that means as I understand it the RightFront/LeftRear (Primary Circuit) is having lower pressures than LeftFront/RightRear (Secondary). I started real-time monitoring and I get varying numbers as I went thru pressing on the brakes/releasing them. LF/RR = 67.9/54.1 (Secondary) and RF/LR = 55.0/54.1 (Primary). Then when I release the brake pedal I'd get something like 19.6/4.2f (LF/RR) and 9.3/9.3 (RF/LR). So I performed a complete system flush with new DOT 3 brake fluid. I think I saw a few air bubbles during the flushing of all four brakes.. Brakes "felt" about the same afterwards. Did the pressure checks and...nothing really changes with the LF registering higher (> 10%) just like before. I then performed one ABS resetting service and reset the DTC and then used the FEH. About 2 hours later, on comes the ABS+ cluster lights :-( Is there something I missed doing? Any suggestions on what to do next/possible issue? Almost seems like it needs to recalibrate as I don't know why the LF caliper keeps reading higher than the other 3. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

Not yet. I am going to try to use the FORScan service feature to bleed the system thru the ABS module - hopefully this weekend. Fingers crossed....

Old 01-24-2023, 03:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The service manual I have for a 2011 gets to the end of the diagnostic for that code, after bleeding the brakes, and then calls for either replacement of the HCU or the Master Cylinder. Fortunately the MC is not that expensive: < $100. I don't know about the HCU. I'll post the diagnostic tomorrow, I'm working on my own ABS+Stability Control Light problem on my 2010 FEH Limited 2WD. I've got about 104,000 miles on the car and until yesterday there was zero wrong with it.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:13 PM

Here is the pinpoint test from the 2011 FEH Service Manual:

Pinpoint Test C1029:00 DTC 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid

Old 01-24-2023, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Alex - this is very helpful info - thank you. I haven't done the ABS bleed yet...last weekend got busy and this weekend I have COVID !!! (I am wiped out) Hopefully the worst case is its a master cylinder replacement. Good luck with yours and keep me posted!

Cheers - David

Old 01-24-2023, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by daggerNC
Hey Alex - this is very helpful info - thank you. I haven't done the ABS bleed yet...last weekend got busy and this weekend I have COVID !!! (I am wiped out) Hopefully the worst case is its a master cylinder replacement. Good luck with yours and keep me posted! Cheers - David
You're welcome, and UGH! that sucks! Also: remember that you can get 48 hour access to the service manual for your car from FORD.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/

It's not a crazy amount of money, something like $30. It includes the wiring diagrams and all the rest.

Good luck and take care of yourself. I will let everyone know how my 2010's problem goes.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:34 AM
Enthusiast

in that steering wheel sensor on ur obd screen there is something like (CAN)((ESP), doesn't that mean cars made in this two countries only that hv that option?

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Last edited by Alisad; 02-14-2023 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast

Just a quick update: first man that was a nasty strain of Covid the wife and I got...took a couple of weeks to start feeling better!

OK, ran the Pinpoint Z test process, and after multiple self tests and clearing the DTCs the code doesn't come back until we drive it around for a while. However, this past weekend I went thru a second round of manual brake flushing but the imbalance in Secondary pressures being higher than Primary circuits still persists. Reran a number of Forscan tests, and then I failed to complete an ABS Recalibration test, threw a new C1018:46-AB code, and now the brakes don't work hardly at all/can't drive it and I can't figure out how to clear it. I'm starting a new thread to focus on this new code and will reference this thread as the prelude....

Old 02-22-2023, 12:40 PM

This is just a guess/hunch so please take it as such but:

I think your master cylinder is kaput.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:42 AM
Enthusiast

Hey Alex. I don't see any obvious leaks around the Master Cylinder. Although, I have read a couple of places where people posted their Forscan real time pressures and they are way higher than mine ( with brake depressed the highest number is in the 70's whereas I saw someone say in the 1000's for there's....what is the normal range??). I keep thinking it's elsewhere due to the Master has two output circuits: Front and Rear, so why would I see a higher reading in only one front brake and not the other..? Hmmm, a Master Cylinder would be MUCH more easier/less costly than a new ABS module.

Quick Reply: C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands