C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 06:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

Oops, my bad - the brake circuits/outputs from the MC on the FEH are diagonal (Front+Rear) and not both front/both rear as I stated above. So, given my readings always show the Secondary (RF+LR) readings are always higher, then maybe it is the MC and not the ABS HCU module!

Old 03-03-2023, 02:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daggerNC
All - my wife's 2010 FEH Limited has started a new issue in the last few weeks - Cluster lights for ABS+Traction Control+Brakes illuminate. However, NO brake pedal or braking performance issues and no issues detected after checking https://epicvin.com/vin-decoder/ford. Turn the FEH off and then on again, and the lights clear, and then can sometimes drive a day or two before it happens again, and sometimes its 5 minutes later and the Brakes lights come on. I put FORScan on it and pulled an ABS module DTC code of C1029:00-AB (Dashboard) and C1029:00-68 in the DTC menu =f "ABS Primary Circuit Pressure lower than Secondary". So that means as I understand it the RightFront/LeftRear (Primary Circuit) is having lower pressures than LeftFront/RightRear (Secondary). I started real-time monitoring and I get varying numbers as I went thru pressing on the brakes/releasing them. LF/RR = 67.9/54.1 (Secondary) and RF/LR = 55.0/54.1 (Primary). Then when I release the brake pedal I'd get something like 19.6/4.2f (LF/RR) and 9.3/9.3 (RF/LR). So I performed a complete system flush with new DOT 3 brake fluid. I think I saw a few air bubbles during the flushing of all four brakes.. Brakes "felt" about the same afterwards. Did the pressure checks and...nothing really changes with the LF registering higher (> 10%) just like before. I then performed one ABS resetting service and reset the DTC and then used the FEH. About 2 hours later, on comes the ABS+ cluster lights :-( Is there something I missed doing? Any suggestions on what to do next/possible issue? Almost seems like it needs to recalibrate as I don't know why the LF caliper keeps reading higher than the other 3. Thanks in advance.
I think the problem is related to your master cylinder

Last edited by DavidNoren; 03-07-2023 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:02 AM
Enthusiast

Just picked up a new Motorcraft master cylinder. Will do the R&R over the weekend. How important/is it necessary to do a pressurized brake fluid bleed versus (my typical) manual brake pedal bleed?? No argument pressurized is "better", but is there any technical reason manual bleeding won't fully work with a MC and/or ABS CU replacement? Thanks.

Fingers crossed this resolves the C1029/C1018 DTCs..

Old 03-06-2023, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast

All - I have installed a new Ford Master Cylinder after bench bleeding it. I have also done a manual bleed of the two rear brake lines (so far) with an assistant slowly pumping the brake pedal 50 times each line - no stream of air bubbles observed... Tried the brake pedal after this and it is (still) very soft and almost goes to the floor (engine and ignition off). So far no change.

Here are my new questions:
1- What does a "normal" brake pedal on a 2009-2012 FEH feel like? Should the brake pedal be firm after a couple of inches (FEH have an air gap in the brake pedal travel for regenerative brake operation before the master cylinder push rod is engaged for hydraulic activation) with engine off? What does it feel like for others with engine on? Note - my FEH has never seemed to have a "firm" pedal unlike other cars I've owned like a Mini Cooper and Ford Explorer, etc...
2- Should I continue with manual bleeding of the two front brake lines, or is this a waste of time? I saw a copy of a 2009 FEH service manual that stated manual bleeding is only recommended for non-hybrids. Due to complexity of hybrid brake system a pressure bleeder must be used. I have a Power Bleeder unit on order and should be here later this week, but hate not doing anything.
3- According to the 2009 manual procedure I saw, IIRC is says do a power bleed first, then service tool ABS Service Bleed, then another power bleed, then run the Multi-Calibration service process. Can anyone confirm this is correct for my 2010?
4- Note - I have FORScan and have run the ABS Service Bleed process at least 4 or 5 times (prior to the new Master Cylinder) and it completes everytime. However, can anyone confirm that these 2008-2012 Gen2 FEH's do NOT have the fully automated service ABS Bleed process that requires you to open a brake bleeder valve as instructed? Mine only runs the process with lots of ABS valve noises but never asks me to open any bleeder valves (maybe this is only on newer vehicles)?
5- What should be my final FORScan process: ABS Reset followed by ABS Service Bleed followed by Multi-Calibration? or ....?
6- What should I do if after all this/new master cylinder R&R I still get an unequal Secondary brake circuit is higher than Primary brake circuit (code C1029)? Does that then definitively say my ABS HCU/Pump unit is toast and I need to try to find a working used unit and go thru all this again? Or throw in the towel plus Visa card and tow it to a Ford Dealer? Or donate the vehicle to the Grand Tour and watch them blow it up!?

Old 03-08-2023, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

I completed the 3rd step for a pesky c1018 code that would not go away and got the code and lights to go away. Now in my case the break pedal feels too responsive a bit of an air gap for REGN break and then you feel the breaks slow you down. Nothing like the 1st gen model.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hey @Ricmigl - by you saying "I completed the 3rd step..." do you mean 1= Pressure bleed, 2= Service ABS Bleed, and 3rd= another pressure bleed?? Thanks!

Old 03-10-2023, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Why am I jinxed?? New gasket came in for Power Bleeder unit yesterday and it fits the FEH master cylinder! So, pour a couple of quarts of DOT 3 into the cylinder, hooked it up and did the 10 lbs pressure to check for any leaks for 5 minutes. Went to the RR brake to set it up for the initial bleed, and then I hear this hissing and spitting....go to engine compartment and the hose at the MC cap split open and brake fluid going everywhere! What a mess. Cleaned up best I could, drove to 2 auto parts stores for new clear hose, no luck but Home Depot had some vinyl tubing so picked that up and called it a day and had a few Gin & Tonics to ease the pain :-) Today I cleaned up all the old/brittle hose on the pressure bleeder and cut and installed new tubing. Really had to crank on the stainless steel hose clamps to get them to seal but the fitting for the cap line never sealed 100%...again WTH? But good enough so I pumped it up to about 28 lbs (gauge goes to 30 lbs which I know the Ford factory service procedure says 30 to 50 lbs..) and bled the RR - no problem, then LR - nothing noticeable, and then the RF caliper - about 10 seconds into the bleeding I start seeing and hearing a BUNCH of tiny air bubbles going thru the line such that I thought MC ran dry or something, but it all looked good, and then continued the bleed and then it cleared out like the rear lines! LF bleed saw nothing out of the ordinary. So MAYBE there was a bunch of trapped air in the RF system (ABS to caliper line) that the multiple manual bleeds missed???

Can't do step two which is the FORScan ABS Service Bleed because I decided to send my instrument cluster into a repair shop to put new led backlights in, and of course I get a message from Fedex there is a delay and won't get it till tomorrow....grrr. Par for the course it seems. So, I have a small glimmer of hope the power bleed of the RF line actually corrected the Primary system low pressure/soft brake issue and I hope that will enable clearing the C1018 code once I can run a new Multi-Calibration routine. I hates brakes..

Old 03-12-2023, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast

Well, Fedex seems to have misplaced my cluster??? Hoping for a call from them tomorrow..

Old 03-14-2023, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

No call but Happy to say a Fedex truck dropped off my cluster!! So now to continue with the brake bleeding today..

Old 03-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Enthusiast

No joy. Did the service ABS Bleed routine which completed (as before). Then did step 3 which is another pressure bleed. All four lines/bleeds went very smoothly with no bubbles/air in any of the lines. Then ran the service Multi-Calibration routine, and it is still failing... FORScan DTC run now shows an additional DTC besides the main C1018:46-AB one -- C1014:07-68 which is Brake System Total Balance code, with subcode = Mechanical Failure. WTH is that?? Ran the ABS Self Service routine, and that comes back with no errors. Clear all the DTCs and then as before it comes back up with just the C1018 DTC. Ran the Multi-Calibration again, same failure at around 6% through. So I did ANOTHER power bleed - all went fine. Cleared the DTCs, and it still comes back with the C1018 code. Ran the ABS Service Bleed (successful) followed by the Multi-Calibration routine, and fails at 6 - 7%. Generates the two codes above (C1018 and C1014). Clear them, Reset ABS which is successful, then ABS Service Bleed followed by Multi-Calibration, which continues to fail around 6%. One slightly different brake pedal feel is during the ABS Bleed, before the new Ford Motorcraft master cylinder the brake pedal would travel about 90% but then stop and then it would drop to the floor during the ABS Service routine. Now the pedal virtually goes to the floor/100% travel. After multiple rounds of the above I do feel a bit more pressure in the pedal now.... Does anybody have an FEH and what does your brake pedal do when you step on it without it running?

I don't know what to do next.....

Quick Reply: C1029 Code and ABS/Skid/Brakes lights on 2010 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands