Recall received on '08 TCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Recall received on '08 TCH

I received a recall on the floor mats and gas pedal on my TCH last night. I have never had a issue with the mats moving because they are clipped in and I don't think I want them cutting off the gas pedal. There appears to be almost 2 inches clearance between the padal and the floor. Debating on whether to take it in or wait. I hear there are some new gas pedals due in April. Thoughts everyone?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recall received on '08 TCH

I'm in the same situation. I've received the notice, but I'm not convinced that this makes sense for me. My mats are clipped in properly, and there's no way they can possibly move. When I put in my winter mats, I take out the all-seasons, and clip them in properly too. I'm really hesitant to 'fix' something that is clearly not broken.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 AM

The recall is not for you, but for the car.
If you are a conscientious owner, one who is aware of the mats and checks them regularly, etc., there's no need for you to run out and circumcise the pedal.
However, long after you've traded in the car the future owners might be more careless, stacking mats, etc. ergo, you're doing it for them...
...or at least that's the logic

Last edited by haroldo; 03-09-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 AM

That won't be an issue in my case, since I plan on driving this thing until it dies (which should be a good ling time). In case I ever change my mind - still no problem, as I keep all documentation, including invoices, letters, etc. pertaining to my car in a safe deposit box so that I can produce a complete record of the car's history for resale. That will serve as an adequate reminder of the issue, should it ever be needed.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rmorrow
That won't be an issue in my case, since I plan on driving this thing until it dies (which should be a good ling time). In case I ever change my mind - still no problem, as I keep all documentation, including invoices, letters, etc. pertaining to my car in a safe deposit box so that I can produce a complete record of the car's history for resale. That will serve as an adequate reminder of the issue, should it ever be needed.
I would guess that next time you bring it in for any service (assuming you go to the dealer for service) they will do it anyway, whether you ask them to or not.

I intend to get my pedals clipped soon, both on the Prius before I sell it, and on the Camry Hybrid which I intend to keep for several more years. Like you I have the floormats securely clipped in, but both cars also have plastic covers on the floormats. I drilled holes in the covers so they could clip in, but not long ago I noticed that the plastic cover had slipped free of the hooks (although it hadn't migrated near the pedal -- yet).

Old 03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I got the recall for my 2009 yesterday. I think I'm going to ignore it for the same reasons mentioned above. Also, I just had my last pre-paid maintenance, and will be taking it to Jiffy Lube from now on, so the "they'll do it anyway" issue does not apply.

BTW, it says in the recall letter: "As an additional measure independent of the vehicle-based recall remedy, Toyota will install a newly designed override system on select Camry models to provide an extra measure of confidence. This system will reduce engine power in case of simultaneous application of both accelerator and brake pedals at certain speeds and driving conditions. The Camry Hybrid already contains a fuel supply cut feature for Hybrid motor protection that achieves a similar result as the override system newly designed for the non-hybrid models. (bold is theirs). Ergo the TCH will not be getting a BTO reflash.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM

I've managed half a dozen or so recall campaigns over the past ten years on the commercial side.Sometimes they are done for mechanical reasons, sometimes for political reasons. This one stinks. I'll pass thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 AM

I plan on keeping mine until it dies also. There is something fishy with this recall. I will wait until they figure it out then take appropriate action. I don't take mine to the dealer for anything and if I do I will remove the mats before I take it in. As for the pedal, if they manage to get ahold of it and modify it, well nothing lost. I will keep the paperwork if needed later.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

I took my TCH in yesterday for nothing more than am oil and filter change and worried a little that they'd want to do the pedal/mat recall work. The place was mobbed.

Despite that, I received courteous and, under the circumstances, prompt service. When I indicated I'd prefer not to have the recall work done, could see no reason for it, the service clerk readily agreed and responded with:

"Toyota will now have to design things to protect customers from themselves."

Bingo. Unfortunately, their task will no easier than that of ladder makers. Trying to design a ladder people couldn't all off of has proven to be impossible.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

If you bring your car in with the existing nice all weather mats they will take those out and replace them with thin cheap replacements. I suspect these are easier to clip into place and remove.
If you want to keep your existing mats as I did, leave them at home or put them in the trunk and use the physical key to put the trunk into valet mode (turn physical key to the left 1/4 turn) and keep the key in your pocket. The previous step assumes you have Smart Key. If they find them in the trunk they will take the old mats never to be seen again.

Quick Reply: Recall received on '08 TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands