Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

The one thing that I have not seen mentioned but my dealer told me (so please correct me if I am wrong) is that it is just a FM transmitter that you (we) cannot control so if the station does not work in a area or the station is bought it no longer works and you have to take it back in to be reprogrammed...

Old 04-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clyde2575
The one thing that I have not seen mentioned but my dealer told me (so please correct me if I am wrong) is that it is just a FM transmitter that you (we) cannot control so if the station does not work in a area or the station is bought it no longer works and you have to take it back in to be reprogrammed...
I can tell you for certain that's not true. It hooks to the head unit like a CD changer. In fact, that's what the head unit sees it as. All direct wiring there... no RF.

It sounds a *lot* better than an FM transmitter, too. That doesn't mean it doesn't work like crap, though.

-Steve

Old 04-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It is a direct connection (which is different than the AUX jack in the '06) through the back of the radio. You're iPod is controlled directly through the CD commands. As stated previously, it does work like crap.

The FM transmitter is another option for your '04. I have one in my Escape. As long as you can find an empty station in your area, it will work fine. You will have fading sometime (under an underpass) and static because it's not a direct connection. But most of the time, it works fine. You could probably have an AUX jack installed (which connects to your headphones plug), if you're willing to spend the money and don't want static.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have an FM transmitter in my '06 but when I was going to buy the MusicLink the supervisor of the service department said what I had was better because the MusicLink is an FM transmitter that you can control with your radio controls. How interesting that yet again, my dealer knew little to nothing about their products. They actually knew unbelievably little about the hyrbrid but I figured the service supervisior would know about a part they install.

All the same, from what I hear here, I am glad that I did not do it.

Guess I need to change my profile to show that I have the '06 now and not the '04...

Old 04-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just makes me nuts when instead of saying "I don't know, but I'll find out.", they just make up any old crap and spew it!

Don

Old 05-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

First of all, kudos to Steve for all his work in getting the word out about the Honda Music Link.

Here's the nuts and bolts. If you just want a way to charge your Ipod while shuffling through random songs or albums, buy it. If you want any other functionality, do what Steve did.

I sent my own letter in to Honda customer service and i am going to follow up today. I will update afterwards.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:32 AM

You can charge the iPod just by buying a USB car adapter. That's what I did. One end plugs into the 12V outlet, the other is where the iPod's USB connector plugs into. Thus my iPod remains permanently charged and I never need to bring it inside except to put new songs on it.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

no integration with the NAV screen - i like my iPod but I bought a 4 GB Card and ripped my CD's to Windows Media Player. I get the song's and artists on the screen and besides some clunky interface controls it is totally integrated with NAV.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
hypermiler wannabe

Whow, I'm glad I found this thread, AND Steve's detailed report. I was a few clicks away from ordering a Music Link for my 3rd Gen iPod (and it's incompatible!?)

So I canceled that and ordered a refurb 5th Gen (video!) iPod and a Griffin TuneFlex for a total of $260. A bit more than the Music Link, but I get a new iPod and it installs quite simply.

Now when's that UPS man a comin'??

Old 09-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davidwells
Whow, I'm glad I found this thread, AND Steve's detailed report. I was a few clicks away from ordering a Music Link for my 3rd Gen iPod (and it's incompatible!?)

So I canceled that and ordered a refurb 5th Gen (video!) iPod and a Griffin TuneFlex for a total of $260. A bit more than the Music Link, but I get a new iPod and it installs quite simply.

Now when's that UPS man a comin'??
I was originally quoted $400 installed so you saved quite a bit more over buying the MusicLink. Also, there is a direct AUX connection that you can use with any headphone jack. You'll just need a male to male connection. That is what I use for my iPod in my 06 and it works great. No fading or static.

Quick Reply: Honda Music Link (for iPodŽ)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands