HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power/Jerking

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power/Jerking

Your car does not have Gears. Your transmission is called a Continuously Variable Transmission. It consists of 2 spools and a metal belt. The spools expand and squeeze together to change their ratios. This is why the engine speed may be steady and at a high RPM as the car accelerates.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification Orient. At any rate, I'm not going to be too concerned about the issue at this time, since I find it to be distracting me from focusing on how the rest of the car is operating and whether or not I am doing well in MPG. I think overall the car is running smoothly. I'm going to check the CVT fluid though.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As far as CVT fluid level, I would use the Cold side of the diptstick. Let the level stabilize, ie: don't check immediately after shut-down. And have the car on level ground. In my experience after a thorough drain (allowing it to drain until just a very sparse, periodic drip) 3 US quarts will put the level on the cold side full mark.

There are instuctions for hot-check in the owners manual. I've found in practice these are contradictory. If you follow them, hot-checking 60-90 seconds after shut-down, and topping up on the hot side of diptstick, the next morning with cold car you will find grossly overfilled on the cold side of diptstick. In a nutshell, there is something wrong with Honda's instruction/logic. I just stick with cold check.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Hybrid-Hugger

Would you say it is more like a rubber-band feeling. I get this as well and know it is the CVT. I am used to it.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah it feels like being stretched like a rubber band, or a Yo Yo.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check if you had the latest software updates- there were a couple of TSBs discussed on this board that affect quite a bit the behavior of the car in those situations. Mine used to jerk quite a bit in switching from low speed stopping to acceleration. Two TSB later it no longer does that

Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Civic Hybrid Loss of Power and almost hit

Hi All,
I am new to the forum but wanted to share my story. I have enjoyed the Honda Civic Hybrid for the first 3 years before the IMA system started dumping. This has progressed into loosing power while navigating thru intersections and almost be side impacted since I could not get out of the way on the car approaching. Scary! After 2 attemps the dealer has not fixed it and but the service and trans service got done just fine. Good group of people at Honda North of Fresno but the car has them stumped, so I believe it does. I filed a compliant with NHTSA since I could have been killed if the truck would have not went around me while I had it floored and only reved to 2k RPM and wnet nowhere quick. I hope Knowone else has this same concern as it is very unsafe. Unlike Toyota throttle sticking, this just dumps the IMA battery and looses power.
Hmmm... time to trade in I guess.
Sincerely, Bobby.

Project: NHTSA Hotline Center Case: Honda Civic Hybrid Loss of power on take off Case Number: 383739

Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast

Bobby Swift
My 2006 HCH with around 24K had the same symptoms. The latest software did not produce an error message but the IMA battery was marginal. The car was unsafe when recalibrating since there was no IMA assist.

After some serious back-and-forth with the dealer and Honda America.... a replacement battery at $3,000+ was installed. All was good again. Good luck getting Honda America to authorize a replacement battery at their expense.

I have been a Honda lover for over 20 years but their lack of support for their IMA hybrid batteries ensures that I will be looking at other brands next time.