2008 Navigation Package

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Navigation Package

Originally Posted by DavidH
I bought an 08 on Sunday 18-March. It was the only one the dealer had. No NAV system, but everything else. They are going to add the factory NAV package. My understanding from the literature is that it includes premium sound with seven speakers. I thik the standard sound system now installed has 5 speakers. One in each of the 4 doors and one in the passenger side rear. Does anyone know where the other two speakers will be installed? Are the door speakers with the standard sound the same as the premium speakers?
Where are the NAV DVDs loaded?
Also, the dealer is having some problems ordering the system from Ford. Are there 08s out there withe the NAV package?
I think you may run into problems trying to add the Hybrid/Nav radio after the fact. I don't believe that the Hybrid/Nav on the earlier (05-07) models could be added. Something about the wiring not being the same, especially with the Hybrid communications. I'm guessing that is why the dealer is having trouble ordering it as well. On top of that, the dash is completely different for the standard radio and the nav radio so you are going to have to get a new center dash section. Seems like it might get ugly.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
I could have built the factory setup with $300. and a trip to radioshak in 1998.
The real "gotcha", is the Hybrid system graphics.

Those are quite unique, and not available from any other source. I mean, I don't think RS sells anything which can graphically display the Hybrid system status, do they? I have yet to find any aftermarket Nav system that can, either.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tim K
Something about the wiring not being the same, especially with the Hybrid communications.
Yea, there is a protocol converter "box", which converts the hybrid system's com link (forget its acronym right now), into the ACP com link required by the Nav system. Well, at lest for the '07 and older. I have no idea if the latest, '08, Nav system still requires the ACP link.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast
Post Re: 2008 Navigation Package

I picked up my 2008 with Nav 2 weeks ago. I was immediately disappointed when the NAV system refused to provide voice guidance if I was more than one city block off the defined path. It gives a " not enough detail " voice message. I called Ford who referred me to NAVTEQ. NAVTEQ supplies the maps to Ford and Garmin and probably others. NAVTEQ said the version of their maps that Ford supplied with the vehicle was later than they have released. They also said each NAV system supplier determines how to use the maps so I should expect wide variation between systems. I also have a Garmin 330 StreetPilot with NAVTEQ maps, but it works fine when the Ford system falters.
Having said that, the NAV system has special qualities for the Hybrid that I love. The graph showing the mpg for the last 15 minutes, in one minute intervals is GREAT, as is the power flow screen.
My mileage has been interesting. In mostly around town driving the first tank yielded 36 mpg while the second gave around 33. This may be a function of the hybrid system being very temperature sensitive. When the temp is below 60 degrees the gas engine runs about 15 minutes after initial start, with the HVAC off. Above 60 it runs about 5 minutes. I had cold temps here in South Carolina the second week.
Overall I love the 2008 Escape Hybrid.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by kpick4
It gives a " not enough detail " voice message. .
So they still haven't gotten it right. The POS factory NAV that came in my 06 used to give this message all the time, even in areas that where densely populated & there was absolutely no excuse for this.

The Eclipse unit I replaced it with is absolutely superb in this regard.

I forget which mapping system Eclipse uses, but it is not NavTeq. The Garmin unit I use on my Harley is using NavTeq(which is Google maps)& I have noticed that those maps do not seem as up to date as whatever it is that Eclipse is using(I have the newest Garmin mapping update).

There is a large residential neighborhood near where I work(one of my co-workers lives there)that is completely missing from any Navteq map. The main road into the neighborhood is also shown as incomplete(& the road is old enough that it has been repaved at least once). This neighborhood is around 10 years old & is shown in complete & highly accurate detail in my Eclipse unit.

I did have to give up the Hybrid screens with my swap, but since I travel a LOT on business & an accurate NAV unit is very important to me it was well worth it. I never found those screens to be particularly useful anyway although they are kind of entertaining to look at occasionally.

~John

Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM

And, if the premium sound has 7 speakers, they must not have separate speakers grilles. I can only find 5 speakers!

The seven speakers are, 4 in the doors, two tweeters in the sail panels at the base of the windshield pillar post & a subwoofer in the right rear. They do all have grilles.

~John

Old 04-11-2007, 08:02 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by jmorton10
The seven speakers are, 4 in the doors, two tweeters in the sail panels at the base of the windshield pillar post & a subwoofer in the right rear. They do all have grilles.

~John
I cannot find the tweeters. The plastic trim on the inside of the windshield pillars is completely smooth. No speakers here. Is your information from and 08?

Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: 2008 Navigation Package

John -- The hybrid features of the nav system are interesting toys for now but they may grow old with time. A more functional nav system, especially one that can accomodate a back up camera, will be a future consideration for me. Which model Eclipse did you install ?

Ken

Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by kpick4
Which model Eclipse did you install ?
I used the AVN 5500 in mine(with an infrared BU camera).

I recently installed a 5510 in a buddy of mine's Escape.

~John

Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM

I cannot find the tweeters. The plastic trim on the inside of the windshield pillars is completely smooth. No speakers here. Is your information from and 08?
The '06s have tweeters in the "sails" (the front corner of the side windows where the mirrors attach. This is only on the premium audio systems and the NAV... I'm bettin hes talking about those.

Quick Reply: 2008 Navigation Package

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands