Speeding Ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speeding Ticket!

Well I haven't dealt with a judge yet. Just got pulled over today and court date is Jan 23. I've heard a few things and not sure the best one. Taken note of what someone just said below too but that one sounds pricey. I'm hearing of attorneys who charge 100 bucks to get it reduced and taken off your record. Also hearing about an option some girl called my radio show with tonight saying that she did. she went to court and they offered her a plea to take defensive driving and they would take away the fine and also not put it on her record. she was just out the court fees.

so i'm confused now even more on what to do.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Since this is your first ticket and you're probably not ready to try and challenge the whole court system, I would try the bargaining route... Try for the defensive driving course. The system (and most cops) generally look favorably upon people who know they've made a mistake and are willing to make the effort to correct their ways. It's not a guarantee, but (especially if the cop doesn't show up) your chances are pretty high you can get rid of the ticket.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

so you'd try and go in and offer them a bargain yourself rather than go the lawyer route?

Old 12-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother with the lawyer for a simple matter like this, but If the price of peace of mind is worth it to you, then I guess you could use a lawyer. There's still no guarantee a lawyer can do anything more than you can in court, it really depends on the judge and what side of the bed they woke up on.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

true true...i'm assuming the fine is probably 130 or so plus court fees so the lawyer would be about that anyways if i had to pay the entire thing. i just really want it off the record. that's my main purpose.

Old 12-31-2005, 09:27 PM

I'm not sure I'd get a lawyer for a speeding ticket. It gives the impression you want to fight. If you looke and act helpless they are much more likely to give you sympathy. Though ultimately its going to come down to what side of the bed the judge woke up on as pointed out above.

If asked just say "I thought I was going the speed limit. The last speed I saw on the speedometer was that I was going the speed limit. I was driving with the flow of trafic so I didn't think I was speeding."

Last edited by tbaleno; 12-31-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by jjryan
. . . Long story short I have a court date now. What should I do? I don't want this ticket on my record.
You might call down to the court house and speak with the court clerk. Verify your court date and then ask them about your options. Asking is always safe and will give you peace of mind.

As for the officer showing up, it is flu and cold season (<cough> <cough>).

But no one has pointed out the obvious . . . doing 50 when you could have been doing a more fuel efficient 35 mph? That seems a little excessive for "pulse and glide."

Bob Wilson

Old 01-01-2006, 10:44 AM

We didn't point it out because that would be like rubbing salt in the wound. Heh. But anyway, calling the clerk is probably the best idea.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

* This is not legal advice - SEE FULL DISCLAIMER BELOW! *

Depends on the laws and procedures in your state. I'm only familiar with NY, but up here if you get a ticket the best thing to do is generally to write a letter to the District Attorney assigned to traffic cases in whatever town or village you were in. In the letter include any "mitigating" facts or circumstances that apply - e.g., it was daytime and clear weather, it was in an area where there is little or no pedestrian traffic, and/or little vehicular traffic, you have a clean driving record, there was no accident or property damage involved, stuff like that. Try to sound explanative but not argumentative. Admit that you were speeding. In one I wrote, I noted that I was driving home with a new car (this might not work with a sports car, use common sense, in my case it was my 2002 Escape), and since it had a quieter and smoother ride than my prior vehicle, I just didn't realize how fast I was going. If you have just come off a freeway with a higher limit, and have been on it for long enough to become accustomed to the higher speed, that might be worth mentioning as a "reason". Ditto for hanging with the rest of the traffic.

In your letter ask if you might be permitted to plead to a lesser offense, preferably a "non-moving violation", with or without meeting conditions such as taking a def. driving course. Include contact info such as a phone number and address. Then, if you haven't heard from the DA prior to the court date, go to court and you will see him/her there. Ask if they got your letter. Be polite and contrite. Dress respectfully but not in expensive clothes. Take off your hat in court. Be upfront about what you want (avoiding a high fine, points on your license, a "speeding" violation on your record, whatever), and ask if there's any way you can get it.

I don't know if they have "District Attorneys" in AR (there will be some name for the local prosecutor, I don't know if that's it), or how to find out which one will be handling your case - the court clerk may be able to tell you.

Good luck.

* THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IT IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT (0). PROPER LEGAL ADVICE REQUIRES KNOWLEDGE OF THE LOCAL LAW AND PROCEDURE, AND THE PRECISE FACTS OF THE CASE, NONE OF WHICH I HAVE. I AM NOT LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW IN ARKANSAS. *

Old 01-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rookies ! When you go to court in Ill. you go in submit your paperwork they ask if you are going to plead guilty or inocent, if guilty, if you want a trial by judge or a jury trial. They also ask if anyone is looking for court supervision and request a drivers school. And another thing your not going to "**** off" the judge. your not going up there with a bad attitude your requesting. Ive done it a few times and they are happy to comply. Usually it is taken care of before you stand up.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands