I hear ofa mod that gets you 70 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast

I was at the Toyota dealership today and a guy said that there is asome new mod out that is commonly used in Europe, but you can get it here to, that will enable you to get about 70 MPG from the 04 Prius.

Is this true, adn if so, where can I get mroe info?

Old 10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Maybe the "EV Mode" mod:??

http://vassfamily.net/ToyotaPrius/EVmod.html

Or maybe this:??

We here in the US can add a retrofit to use the cruise control wand (www.costaltech.com)

Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

Or maybe what? You said or maybe this, but then there is nothing.

Is running in EV mode all the time a good idea? I don't seem to think so.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The "or maybe this" was pointing to the www.coastaltech.com website, which has a the "cruise control stick" mod for getting EV mode out of U.S. Priuses.

As far as the wisdom of running in EV mode, well you would have to peruse the Prius boards for non U.S. owners who have first hand knowledge of that to get the real scoop.

Here is a doc that explains some of it:

PDF file for EV Button installation

Here is another link to a Prius forum that discusses it:

PriusForum

Google this string:

prius +"EV mode" +button

and you will get tons of relevant hits.

I would doubt that Toyota engineers would have included the EV mode as standard had there not been a good time to use it.

Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Prius geek

I did the headlite flasher version of the EV mod. Instructions are at http://www.priuschat.com/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=5.

It is a software thing. It's in every 2004-05 Prius, with the Japan and European models getting a button to invoke it. The battery pack is still well protected in that if the charge level drops below 3 bars the gas engine kicks on. If the engine is not warm (catalytic converter for low emissions), it will not engage EV mode (just beeps 3 times at ya!). If you over accelerate (too fast or up hill, or past 34 MPH) the gas engine kicks on to help. It's pretty cool though for parking lots or just moving the car outa the driveway/garage. I see no problem using it under limited circumstances since those overseas get to use it. I haven't seen 70 MPG yet and the manual does warn that excessive use might LOWER MPG, but I have been able to eek out 1-2 MPG using it selectively. Nothing is for free as far as energy goes in the Prius. If u use the electric, the gas eventually has to be used to charge it back up! Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius.