07 Prius Radio Volume Knob Sometime Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 Prius Radio Volume **** Sometime Not Working

(I did software testing for a living for many years.)
Originally Posted by seeocean2000
I tend to believe that "unintended" **** malfunction could also be caused by the same causes, whatever that might be. Being somewhat proficient in software development, I know how hard it is to develop bug-free software.
I doubt it's software. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...s-working.html and more specifically http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...ml#post1123249.

It's intermittent and I've personally hit this a few times. After the above hint, I've "fixed" it by pushing on the left side of the stereo's faceplate.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JHSmith
Sorry, but something doesn't seem right.

You have an '07 Prius and the dealer wants you to pay a diagnostic fee?

Unless something is VERY strange (or you modified your car in the area of the radio), a 2007 should still be in warranty. Therefore, there should not be any fee at all.

BTW, may not be a software bug. It may be an intermittent problem with the encoder portion of the switch that controls the volume. Good luck with this problem because capturing an intermittent symptom like this is a real bear.
Thanks guys for your advice. I'll consider these options and let you know if one of them works.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Wife 06 Prius had this same issue 2 months ago. Carmax warranty took out radio and sent back to Toyota factory for repair. Radio returned with simply stating it has been repaired and Carmax installed it. Worked for about 1 week before it did it again 2 x in 2 days. Appears to be related to hot days.

I put my OBD scanner on the car, no error codes so does not appear to be detected by master computer.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Pragmatist

When I google for "toyota radio volume control not working", google finds "About 3,360,000 results". The ones I peeked at, are mostly complaining about the radio not working -- not just a coincidence of having a lot of words in the search term. This seems this is a problem for quite a few people, and not just in Prius products.

Intermittent electrical problems are usually due to one of two common problems: corrosion on the contacts; or a foreign object creates a short.
Foreign objects are often either (conductive) dust particles or water droplets.

Moving the electrical contacts often solves the corrosion problem by abrading the corrosion. Contacts can be moved by wiggling the connector, or operating the control, or sometimes by moving the whole unit.

Water will evaporate when warm, dry air is applied. A hair blow-dryer works well, if there is a way for the air to enter the device. (But then, you have to find a way to keep it dry.) Keeping the windows closed when parked, and using the air conditioner when driving, helps a lot to keep things dry.

Dust is more difficult. Blowing compressed, dry air into a connector will often move the dust particle. However, the particle then moves to another place, and may cause a different problem. Using a vacuum instead of compressed air can help to prevent that, but only if you can get the vacuum tool into the location. If you don't have a miniature vacuum cleaner, a length of small plastic tubing can be taped to the smallest attachment on your big vacuum cleaner.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My 06 does this on occasion! [volume *** not working] Play with it a bit and all is fine, weird!!! The steering wheel volume however always works.H

Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sURFNmADNESS
Wife 06 Prius had this same issue 2 months ago. Carmax warranty took out radio and sent back to Toyota factory for repair. Radio returned with simply stating it has been repaired and Carmax installed it. Worked for about 1 week before it did it again 2 x in 2 days. Appears to be related to hot days.

I put my OBD scanner on the car, no error codes so does not appear to be detected by master computer.
I find it HIGHLY unlikely you'll get ANY error codes due to this.

pEEf might be able to fix this, see http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...ml#post1267055. Besides fixing this, he fixes bad combination meters (speed and odo) and runs http://evseupgrade.com/.