A slip as you brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: A slip as you brake

Originally Posted by PineywoodsPete
I tried to order an EBH from the local Monterey Toyota dealer - no part # found for the HiHY or earlier 3.3L V-6's, and couldn't recognize the Canadian # Evan Fusco lists. So I went ahead and ordered it from Fusco's source -Langley Toyota, B. C. Canada, near Vancouver, at 604-530-3156. They list one for the '06 HiHY (and presumably for models since, as the ICE hasn't changed).

Cost - $28 with about $10 shipping. Very nice folks.

It looks to me like the studs are long enough to use with the EBH, which appears to need about 5mm more length for the "shoulder" on the heater. At any rate, will try it and remove them if necessary.

Pete

I installed the EBH using the instructions from Efusco many months ago. Nice to have so much detailed information prior to the install. I was unsucessful in removing the studs. When I put the socket on the studs they rounded off somewhat so I was left with using them as they are. the original nuts from the studs went back on as well. No problem, good seal. Someone else mentioned they had the same stud removal problem and used the nuts also.
Good luck you should not have any problems otherwise.

Lenny

Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lensterman
I installed the EBH using the instructions from Efusco many months ago. Nice to have so much detailed information prior to the install. I was unsucessful in removing the studs. When I put the socket on the studs they rounded off somewhat so I was left with using them as they are. the original nuts from the studs went back on as well. No problem, good seal. Someone else mentioned they had the same stud removal problem and used the nuts also.
Good luck you should not have any problems otherwise.

Lenny

Great news, as that seemed to be the most challenging part, even with the proper star socket which I have. Steel into aluminum binds up very easily.

Thanks, Lenny.

Pete

Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 AM

I've also noticed this in my RX400h (07). I hate going back to the dealer because of the attitude they give you. I do appreciate the responses since it's been a minor concern of mine.
r6264

Old 06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

I just purchased my 08 HH Limited and since the vehicle will have to live outside and I live in the Great White North (1 hour east of Toronto, Ontario) I had the block heater option installed as part of the purchase.
I am a volunteer ski instructor with a disabled ski program so it will be interestin to see how the truck performs in winter. I have already decided that the rims will be coming off and some proper winter skins will be going on.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have you considered using grid power to preheat your seats rather than battery power?

Or preheat the entire passnger cabin when grid power is available..??

Old 06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

I use a cabin heater on a timer from the garage when at home. By doing so it also helps defrost the windows. Being a Power Utility Worker I get my electrons by the bucketful for free

Old 06-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

The system is supposed to switch from regen braking to traditional in the last few mph (dont' know why), but yes I have experienced it and its very unsetteling. If I hadn't read a review describing this "sybil" behavior, I probably would have taked it back to the dealer a day after I bought it to find out what was wrong. A review of a 2008 model either by the same author or someone familar with earlier model said the effect was much less pronounced than the 2006/7 models. I thought it was interesting that Benton noticed it, but perhaps that change wasn't in the 2008 Lexus, but its hard to imagine it woudln't have been.

However what most of us, including myself are describing I think is different from what you originally said, "locking up". I'd usually interpret that phrase as full brakes for a moment. What I usually experience, and what I have read about, is what feels like a near loss of brakes for a momement. Can you clarify what feeling you were describing when you said "locking up"?

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by shiba3420
The system is supposed to switch from regen braking to traditional in the last few miles per hour (dont' know why), but yes I have experienced it and its very unsetteling.

Your use of the word "switch" implies something other than what actually happens. As you press harder and harder on the brake pedal the system transitions into more and more traditional, frictional, braking, hopefully fairly smoothly so. And I don't think it ever transitions fully out of regen mode unless ABS activates.

This latter case might just be what many are describing, a quick "lurch" due to the regen function being INSTANTLY disabled due to ABS activation. And keep in might that this may be a "one time", singular, ABS activation, not to initially release brake fluid pressure, but simply to disable regen to keep it from interferring with ABS should the impending lockup of the wheel persist.

There is the other case in that if the hybrid battery happens to be "fullish" you may fine yourself relying only on traditional braking.

If I hadn't read a review describing this "sybil" behavior, I probably would have taked it back to the dealer a day after I bought it to find out what was wrong. A review of a 2008 model either by the same author or someone familar with earlier model said the effect was much less pronounced than the 2006/7 models. I thought it was interesting that Benton noticed it, but perhaps that change wasn't in the 2008 Lexus, but its hard to imagine it woudln't have been.

However what most of us, including myself are describing I think is different from what you originally said, "locking up". I'd usually interpret that phrase as full brakes for a moment. What I usually experience, and what I have read about, is what feels like a near loss of brakes for a momement. Can you clarify what feeling you were describing when you said "locking up"?

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

You seem to know a great deal about the components. I had often hypothised that ABS might completely disengage regen, but never have seen any info which states that it does. Do you know if this can/does actually happen or is this just a high probability guess?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM

So, lets make the case for the brakes feeling, first, as if "locking", a feeling of hard braking effort, quick slowing of the vehicle, and then suddenly transitioning into not so hard. And lets assume the hybrid battery is in dire need of recharging.

So, we apply the brakes fairly aggressively, well beyond moderate, and as a result we get a mix of regen and frictional braking, moreso regen as a result of the battery condition. But now we hit a slippery (pothole, wet..?) spot on the roadbed, the Anti-lock system detects impending wheel lockup and INSTANTLY disables ALL regen capability.

Note that you will NOT feel this initial, one time, ABS activation in the traditional way, no brake pedal pulsing.

To make up the sudden change in braking HP more fluid pressure must now be applied to the brake pistons. Keeping in mind that we now have reason to be suspicious of the roadbed traction there is a good case for the design engineers to have been careful about the reaction, so the increase in brake fluid pressure will likely be slow, somehow metered, so that we do not transition into frictional braking so fast and HARD that ABS is again forced to activate, perhaps needlessly.