New HiHy Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default New HiHy Owner

Hello --

I recently proudly purchased my HiHy and am now on my fourth tank of gas. I got my best mileage yet on this third tank -- a whopping (disappointing) 22.5 MPG. It's a heck of a lot better than the 13 I was getting in my Jeep Cherokee -- but not what I'd hoped for.

I live in Florida and drive extremely flat roads all the time. As the weather has been cool I have not used the A/C at all. I don't know some of the technical terms are that I see here in this forum (PnG?) -- but I have made a game of driving this vehicle to see just how much I can remain in battery mode. I have figured out how, after warming up, I can cruise through my neighborhood on battery alone. I have mastered gently accelerating to cruising speed, releasing the gas pedal to revert to battery, and then depressing the gas pedal just enough to engage the battery and maintain cruising speed for quite a few miles. I can prowl the parking lot at the grocery store for open spaces solely on battery power. I never jack rabbit start and coast early and often. I drive a mix of city and highway miles.

I do notice on the highway that the battery kicks off and on creating a slightly choppy feel -- do others experience that as well?

I have been using the least expensive gas grade and have left the tires at the pressure to which they were inflated when I bought the car.

Any suggestions? Peace, Nell

Last edited by Nellaroo; 02-15-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HiHy Owner

It sounds like you're doing most things "right" for better FE. How long are most of your trips? That's about the only thing that jumps to my mind as possibly lowering your FE. If most of your trips are short (5-10 mins) then you're not getting as much benefit as you could if you had longer trips.

I can't say that I've noticed any "choppy" feeling as the battery kicks in and out ... when I'm stopped at a light and the ICE engine shuts down, I can usually feel that vibrarion but unless I'm paying a lot of attention, I don't notice this when driving generally.

Old 02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree with Shiloh. Everything seems like you're doing a lot of what I do. Although I usually check tire pressure every 1 to 2 weeks, and actually have them inflated to 37/35.

The one issue I have noticed is that there are times when the engine should be shutting off and reverting back to battery-only, but doesn't. It doesn't happen all the time either, just sometimes. Temp is good, HH is warmed up, battery is above 50% capacity, but I can't get the darn thing to shut off unless I come to a complete stop. 5-10 seconds later it dies, and *then* I can proceed on battery only.

I haven't noticed any real difference between battery/engine when at highway speeds either.

Rick

Old 02-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nellaroo
Hello --

I recently proudly purchased my HiHy and am now on my fourth tank of gas. I got my best mileage yet on this third tank -- a whopping (disappointing) 22.5 MPG. It's a heck of a lot better than the 13 I was getting in my Jeep Cherokee -- but not what I'd hoped for.

I live in Florida and drive extremely flat roads all the time. As the weather has been cool I have not used the A/C at all. I don't know some of the technical terms are that I see here in this forum (PnG?) -- but I have made a game of driving this vehicle to see just how much I can remain in battery mode. I have figured out how, after warming up, I can cruise through my neighborhood on battery alone. I have mastered gently accelerating to cruising speed, releasing the gas pedal to revert to battery, and then depressing the gas pedal just enough to engage the battery and maintain cruising speed for quite a few miles. I can prowl the parking lot at the grocery store for open spaces solely on battery power. I never jack rabbit start and coast early and often. I drive a mix of city and highway miles.

I do notice on the highway that the battery kicks off and on creating a slightly choppy feel -- do others experience that as well?

I have been using the least expensive gas grade and have left the tires at the pressure to which they were inflated when I bought the car.

Any suggestions? Peace, Nell
I have notice the "choppy" feeling as well in mine when you get up to about 60 or so on the freeway. If you can, I have found moving it to cruise control at this speed gets rid of the "slight pulse" feel and I haven't noticed any drop in fuel economy.

I am only on my third tank, but I am averaging around 24 mpg. I have not modified my driving habits and drive the vehicle as I would any other car I have owned. I have found getting to your cruising speed quickly and then maintaining that speed gives me better mpg than slower starts. My average commute is around 35-40 minutes as well so I don't know if that can explain the difference.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Nellaroo

I also am proud owner of a new HYHY. I am on tank 1, and average mileage since purchase is 27.5 mpg in (hilly) Seattle suburban commuting. Of course this means sometimes it is downhill..not just uphill. Most of my trips are at least 30 minutes long in stop and start heavy highway traffic. I have noticed that on short trips I do have lower mileage. Worst was when my husband drove 30 miles all uphill to mountains to ski. Then it got 20 mpg. The downhill ride homme cancelled this out, by his report at 30 mpg. I have not altered my car in anyway from delivery (no change in tire pressure,etc).

To confirm your observation: I have also noticed the shuddery feeling at about 55-60 mph on highway - I think it is when electric cuts in and out. It is a little bit annoying but not terrible. I am hoping that it will not bug me too much over time.Anyone else?

PS - it is time for my first fill up. Can I really use regular gas?

Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

Yes deedee you can use regular gas. I've got a dozen or so tanks through mine and it does just fine.

As for the mileage if you search P&G and PnG you will find a variety of threads on the subject. It really isn't about using the battery though. The stuff I've read attempts to use the battery as little as possible. It is a 40-45 mph speed limit technique that can produce 40+ mpg on a HiHy.

As in many other threads, tire pressure is critical and short trips are mileage killers.

Nellaroo, if you are letting the vehicle sit and warm up so the engine shuts off for driving at low speed, the warm up will hurt mileage as well.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

Congrats on the new ride. After thinking about DeeDee's post, it occurs to me that hills are a sort of almost forced Pulse and Glide. I had not thought of it that way before. I try to use terrain to my advantage wherever possible and hills have generally been good to me but I had not thought about why... Thank You!

Also, as many others have posted in the past, break-in is a big deal here. So too is winter weather. We were in the high 50's/low 60s today and I would estimate that I averaged 32 MPG on about 50 miles driven. I'm so looking forward to spring.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

We just received a training/guidance flyer from Toyota on all hybrids. Regarding hills they suggest accelerating before you get to the hill ( build up some momentum ) then drive normally going up the hill.

To that I'd add if possible... let off on the pedal just before the peak and coast over it then down the other side. Of course it depends on grade and traffic demands but as you say it's almost like a forced P & G