Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Hybrid Lover
Default Windshield Replacement

Has anyone had their windshield replaced recently? I did a search and the info. with pricing was back in 2006 when these cars were first released. I need to have mine replaced and was curious about current pricing (pay myself or go to insurance). I'm hoping they've come down in price since 2006 as these cars are much more readily available.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Windshield Replacement

The OEM glass with the sound dampening features and what not are still quite expensive. However most aftermarket glass places are offering the standard Camry glass, installed at your location for around $400. They treat the OEM glass as optional. Take a ride to the ghetto and sit around for a couple hours you can probably get the same glass installed for $250 -$300.

On my car, most of the noise comes from interior rattles. So the sound dampened glass doesn't impress me too much. I'd probably go with the standard when the time comes.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Hybrid Lover

I've done some additional digging and it seems that the OEM glass with the sound dampening is still really expensive. I may just go with the regular Camry glass. I doubt I'll notice a difference. When I first got my TCH a little over 2 years ago, it seemed so quiet. Now, with a few rattles and those awful Bridgestone tires and quite a bit of wind noise along the doors, it doesn't seem quiet at all. I've had zero problems, but it sure doesn't seem as quiet and smooth as it used to.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

Just had mine replaced less than 2 months ago here in Sacramento. Cost a hair over $400, about $100 more than non sound-dampening. A little over a year ago, I paid ~$550 though some of that difference was from using an on-site service.

I year ago the dealer wanted $1200 PLUS installation. This time I didn't even check, I just went straight to an Internet search.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Along for the ride.....

I got a rock chip right in my field of view. My insurance referred me to their "Glass Program." Sound dampening glass was about 1K and I had to pick up the $200 deductible. They would have done a chip repair for free. No mention of using regular glass so I don't know if I'd still have to pay the deductible. After the glue smell went away - I've been happy with the work.

Last edited by Mainer; 11-19-2009 at 10:43 AM.