What's that burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What's that burning smell?

Small problem easily solved during a 4,800 mile trip concluded on Saturday!.
Noticed a burning smell when we got out of the car several times. I first thought it was truck brakes since we first noticed it a rest areas along the last 660 mile grind of the trip. When I got home on Sunday, I had the bugs washed off the car and smelled the burning smell again in our driveway. I opened the hood and discovered that a foam rubber strip which had been secured with some kind of double stick tape to the top area of the radiator had come loose and blew back directly onto the catlytic converter which is near the front of the engine.. I'll say BURNT!... to a crisp!.
I suppose this could have been worse if it became enflamed but as far as we know it didn't. I removed it and scraped the residue off of the catalytic converter with a putty knife. Problem is solved. I will ask the dealer about this problem this week during servicing. I don't think this is significant and I don't think there will be any long lasting issue with it, but do wonder why they put a cheap piece of self stick foam rubber near the engine compartment and so close to the catlytic converter heat source.
So..if anyone else smells something burning, check this out first.
WillyBill

Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: What's that burning smell?

My dealer removed those foam pieces as part of the pre-delivery checkout.
Both my '07 XLE-V6 and TCH had (past tense) the foam pieces.

I think your dealer may have missed them.

J

Old 09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just had the TCH serviced this morning and explained the burning foam issue to them.
He told me, (and I am real skeptical about this), that the foam piece was designed to be there for airflow reasons and that they would order the part.
First of all, I can't believe they would use some totally cheesy foam self-adhesive strip as a 'normal' required part of the TCH. Secondly, I can't see what possible good it would do, and finally, because it totally melted on the catalytic converter, doesn't that represent a fire risk?.. My vote is to forget about it!. I would rather NOT have this 'feature'.
Thanks for your reply.
WillyBill

Old 11-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

My TCH is in the shop for a service interval as we speak. This dealer has PC's so you can catch up on the forum while you wait.. Cool Heh? Anyway, this foam strip which was applied with double stick tape apparently was a stock item for the TCH. They actually ordered and received a replacement part for it. I questioned why a standard part for the TCH would be applied with double stick tape and could easily come off again, blow back on the catalytic converter and nearly catch fire again just resulted in a couple of deer in the headlights looks from the service advisor and service manager.
At any rate, the replacement 'cheap, cheesy foam stip' is being re-applied to th top of the TCH frame over the radiator.
One poster told me his dealer removed it as a part of the delivery process. Again, your guess is as good as mine whether this 'part' is an actual needed part for the TCH.
If anyone knows 'why' this is an important part, please let me know.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting update. The service advisor brought in the 'new part' and said. You know what? I think I agree with you." Why put this self stick foam back in there if it is just going to blow out again. He said he would check further as to whether this 'part' was REALLY necessary.. I guess we are all on a learning curve here !

Old 11-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Did it smell vaguely like burning tar? That would explain the smell I had for a day or two.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, like brakes or burning tires.. Upon checking the catalytic converter (In front of the engine, kind of an aluminum looking cylinder) it had the foam rubber melted all over it.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

I've had my car since last July (just passed 12K+), I was alarmed to find this same burnt smell - thought initally it was from my front tires/brakes. But when I popped the hood I was shocked to find the foam sponge material loose. I guess I'm just unlucky (if in fact the dealer was supposed to remove it upon delivery), kinda surprised more people have not had the same problem. It doesn't hurt for all to check before it happens!

burn.jpg

Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thank you for the photo. I am going to look at mine to see if I have the foam rubber.....

It is there! I couldn't see it, but I could feel it. I wonder what its purpose is....

Old 04-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Had my TCH since last JULY. Just checked under the hood and there it was - just hanging out there. About 2 feet long with a notch 3" from one end. Looks better in the trunk and that's where I'll keep it till my next service. Thanks for the photos

Quick Reply: What's that burning smell?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands