Thermometer Converts from Celsius?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Thermometer Converts from Celsius?

I remember in the 70s when Canada converted to metric. The gov't said, we're switching, that's all there is to it, get over it. The *****in' and moanin' and whinin' was pretty intense, but the world didn't come to an end. People learned and carried on with their lives. Same when the gov't converted from a $1 bill to a $1 coin because it was far more cost effective. Outrage, people refused to take it. But when the supply of $1 bills finally vanished and they had no choice, looking back, man what a waste of hot air. When the $2 bill gave way to the $2 coin a few yrs later, it was not nearly as big a deal. However, lately they have been toying with the idea of scrapping the expensive to make penny and rounding cash transactions to the nickel. Entire organizations have assembled to champion the cause of the penny. Oh the horror of paying $1.95 for coffee instead of $1.93. I digress but I guess the point is change is hard and people will always resist it no matter the possible benefit. Being much smaller population and used to more gov't control of things, I guess it was easier to drag Canadians kicking and screaming thru these changes than it could be done in the US.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:13 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thermometer Converts from Celsius?

Just some brief comments. In the metric TCH, the center console's temperature display increments in 0.5-degree Celsius steps. So, the internal temperature data certainly has at least this precision — likely much higher. I assume that in the US TCH the temperature increments in 1-degree Fahrenheit steps? [Incidentally, 0.5 degree Celsius is slightly finer than 1 degree Fahrenheit.]

Regarding the issue of metric units, I couldn't agree more with the comments expressed above.

Stan