static when iPod is plugged into power outlet

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default static when iPod is plugged into power outlet

I tried my iPod in the TCH this weekend. There was annoying static coming from the speakers along with whatever song was playing on the iPod. I determined that if I unplugged the power cord from the bottom of the iPod, the static went away, and the music sounded good.

Has anyone else expereienced this?

Any thoughts on the problem?

Old 11-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: static when iPod is plugged into power outlet

This problem has been discussed before. The solution lies in either a static filter or a 'ground isolator' (eliminates 'ground loops'). I don't recall which solved this particular problem in the earlier discussions.

JeffD

Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ground loop isolator. I got mine from crutchfield. Worked like a charm.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cFImmYm...+loop+isolator

Old 11-06-2006, 08:23 PM

I have my iPod connected via a Belkin "Auto Kit for iPod" (BestBuy for around $30). This eliminates any "noise".

It plugs into the 12v outlet. It has it's own aux input. I plugged one end of the "mini to mini" gold plated cable I bought (at Walmart for about $4) into the aux input on the car, and the other end into the aux input on the Belkin.

The Belkin then has a cable that plugs into the bottom of the iPod, (dock connector) and allows the iPod to charge and play thru the aux on the car. This also allows the iPod to reach into the center of the car... with only one wire attached directly to the iPod...if a passenger wants to change songs.

It will pause the iPod when the car is shut off, and all that is needed is to push play when I start up the car again.

nice!

here's a link to the Belkin site

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...oduct_ID=149006

Last edited by jbollt; 11-06-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM

Sorry for off topic post.

I just noticed that the last 3 posts are all from "Jeffs" ...I guess we Jeffs know a great car when we see one!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Sorry for off topic post.

I just noticed that the last 3 posts are all from "Jeffs" ...I guess we Jeffs know a great car when we see one!
Heheh. Darn right!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK just a follow up question - sorry if this sounds contrary...

The ground loop isolator is isnerted in the aux input path. But I determined that it was the power cable causing the noise, not the aux. Does it still make sense that the ground loop isolator will fix the problem?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 11-07-2006, 09:03 AM

The TCH instruction manual actually mentions this problem, and it says to unplug power from the iPod when playing. Personally it's not a big deal leaving it unplugged for a week at a time, or more, then plugging it in for a few hours to (fully) recharge it. I just have a Nano though; maybe the regular one's more power-hungry.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

CGameProgrammer, that's probably the best solution, especially since it's free...

Old 11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by wallpad
OK just a follow up question - sorry if this sounds contrary...

The ground loop isolator is isnerted in the aux input path. But I determined that it was the power cable causing the noise, not the aux. Does it still make sense that the ground loop isolator will fix the problem?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul,

If the problem is a ground loop (as has been noted), this will fix it. Note that if you unplug the audio cable, the noise also goes away (also the musical noise). Unplugging either cable breaks any exisiting ground loop.

The same vendor has 12v power filters which is the other fix if the isolator fails to silence the noise.

The Belkin unit mentioned appears to go after both possible noise causes. I don't have an aux. audio input in my Prius so I can't definitively say which way to go, but each of these devices are reasonably priced. Good luck.

JeffD (Electrical Engineering Professor)

Quick Reply: static when iPod is plugged into power outlet

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands