Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Squeaking in the center console??? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/squeaking-center-console-7908/)

BJM5499 06-12-2006 11:18 AM

Squeaking in the center console???

Ok fellow TCH owners,
This may be a bs complaint/comment but I have to find out if it is an annoyance to anyone else. Has anyone noticed that the center console "squeaks"? If you push down on the hard plastic where the shifter is it squeaks like an old bed. I notice it on colder days when I go over bumps and dont have the radio on. It can squeak really bad at times. Does anyone notice this..and if so is it enough of an annoyance to complain about??

Let me know. Thanks!

gc77584 06-12-2006 11:27 AM

Re: Squeaking in the center console???

Nope, can't say I've noticed it. I'll listen for it tonight on the drive home.

TKCamry 06-12-2006 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by BJM5499
Ok fellow TCH owners,
This may be a bs complaint/comment but I have to find out if it is an annoyance to anyone else. Has anyone noticed that the center console "squeaks"? If you push down on the hard plastic where the shifter is it squeaks like an old bed. I notice it on colder days when I go over bumps and dont have the radio on. It can squeak really bad at times. Does anyone notice this..and if so is it enough of an annoyance to complain about??

Let me know. Thanks!

I haven't noticed any problem with squeaking in that area. But using the attached may solve your problem. http://www.mises.org/images3/mousetrap.jpg

But seriously, if it continues to make noise, have your dealer check that the console is screwed together tightly.

fullofbeans 06-12-2006 05:12 PM

I was right about to post about this problem. I have it on my car too. I went to the dealer and booked an appt. for them to fix it on my car. I went for a drive with one of the dealer employees to show him. It appear to be the center console on the left side under the small vertical piece. You can pull this off with a good yank. (It has a couple of clips holding it on.) I do believe it is the bottom piece. It appears that the fit is too tight and that gives you the "crickets have sex" sound. Def. bring it to your dealer. Your not the first one to notice this. I remember another owner mentioning it last week on another site. edumunds.com I believe. My appt. isn't till July 3rd, but I'll post how they resolve the issue. Please post your results, but get your dealer to fix it. Our car is so quiet that little squeaks like that in a new car gets old very, very quick.

vioarc 06-14-2006 07:43 PM

Thanks for posting about this!

Upon delivery, my TCH was so quiet that I immediately obsessed about when the first squeak or rattle would appear.

Several candidates (plastic cups, keys, coins, etc.) came and went, but the chatter of the center console fin(s) vibrating at the bottom appeared at about 1,000 miles.

Once heard, it can't be ignored in the oh, so quiet interior. It seems to happen when driving on rough pavement -- especially rippled patterns that set up a rhythmic motion.

The chirp can also be produced by gently moving my knee side to side against the fin. It's real, all right.

I plan to notify my dealer as suggested, in case there's a known fix.

I've read about similar squeaks being fixed by stuffing flexible foam rods into the offending joint. If no other solution is offered, I will try this.

Has anyone really pulled one of these out to inspect the fastener? If so, please post photos. Also, did it snap back into place after being removed?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image1443.html

vioarc 06-21-2006 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by BJM5499
Ok fellow TCH owners,
...I notice it on colder days when I go over bumps...Let me know. Thanks!

Apparently, your observation about colder temperatures is correct.

Mine are noisy going out the drive when it's cool.

This afternoon, after my TCH had been parked in the sun for some time,
I drove over the type of bumps the usually make the squeaks and noticed nothing happened. I could not make either fin/wing emit a sound.

john312 06-22-2006 02:20 AM

My console started squeaking this past weekend.
I was able to reproduce it while parked by holding the center console by the black tray just infront of the armrest and shifting it back and forth parallel to the dashboard. This caused it to squeak nice and loud.
I tapped down around the edges of the console then tried shifting it back and forth, now it no longer squeaks.
We'll see how long this "fix" lasts. (3 days so far)

yellowdn 06-22-2006 09:23 AM

I've noticed the squeking too and thought it had something to do with the shifter, but been ignoring it expecting it to go away. very faint, but occasionally my friends will ask about it. Definitely happens more when the car is cold.

JasperPearl 06-22-2006 08:14 PM

Had the same sqeaking noise the other morning when it was cold.

Traced the noise to the area marked in the photo. Opened the cupholder slightly and inserted 1 inch of 1/8 inch silicone fuel tubing under the marked area. (Small model airplane fuel line) No more squeak. Marked pic in the share section.
Thanks to vioarc for the original pic.

GreenHawaii 07-01-2006 11:51 PM

I have the squeak too, coming from the center console left fin, and it is getting worse:( . I picked up my license plates yesterday and mentioned it to the dealer and he said that if enough people complain about something Toyota usually comes up with fix. I didn't make an appointment, I just mentioned it. I sure don't want to take the car in for a whole day but the squeak is pretty annoying.

Jasper Pearl, is your fix still working? And fullofbeans, do let us know what your dealer does to fix it. I keep giving the fin a gentle whack to make it stop, which it does for a few minute. The "cold" doesn't seem to have anything to do with the squeak for me...

vioarc 07-02-2006 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by GreenHawaii
I have the squeak too,...the dealer..said that if enough people complain about something Toyota usually comes up with fix. ....

I wrote "Ask Toyota" via e-mail.

The form letter I received in return from Toyota directed me to contact the Dealer.

The e-mail's return address:

toyota_cares@toyota.com

Subject: 2007 camry console fin(s) chirp, rattle, squeak

JasperPearl 07-02-2006 01:50 PM

So far the fix is still working. Moving the fins around would make the noise come from under the shifters plastic plate. Shoving the silicone fuel line in the gap has stopped the noise. I will still mention this to my dealer when I take it in for my first service.

In every other respect the car has been perfect!
Receiving many comments about the color, (either "great color!", or "the color grows on you").

fullofbeans 07-02-2006 06:59 PM

I will tell all what the dealer does to fix my center console squeak. My appt. is on the 4th of July. (something to celebrate?) I also noticed that my passenger seat shakes a bit more than I think it should occasionally on bumpy roads when no one is in it. I'll have them take a peak.

fullofbeans 07-04-2006 07:09 PM

Finally got the squeak fixed at the dealer. It was a real pain. It took forever. Had to go out in the car with them 3 times. They thought they had fixed it only for it start up again as I was leaving the dealership. They put felt tape almost everywhere under the plastic that covered the shifter in the console and on the inside of the fins. Finally they saw that some vibration insulating foam had come out of place to the left of the shifter. (exactly where i told them the sound was coming from the entire time.

I will have to go back again now though. The tech. scratched up the thin black plastic piece the slides back and forth when you use the shifter. It 's not bad, but noticeable. I had to point it out, he didn't say anything. It has to be ordered. This is chewing up my time. If I'd didn't like this car so much, I might be a little ticked off. Anyway if you have this squeaking problem in the console it's probably the same as mine. Tell your tech it's not the vertical fins. (they come off very easily) just pull straight out using one hand. The tech will probably find some lose foam under the shifter plate which lifts up easily when the shifter is still in place. My tech didn't even use the little slot to the top left of the shifter, he just yanked on it from the bottom corner and the piece popped up. lots of plastic pieces in that console that rub and start squeaking easily. Hope this helps anyone with the same difficulty.

Droid13 07-04-2006 08:38 PM

Well right on cue today my TCH hit 1000km and thus did start the now infamous console squeek. Mine seems to be between the plastic cover right in front of the flip door and the left fin as it appears when I put a bit of pressure on these 2 pieces at the same time the squeek stops. Reminds me a bit of my 2004 Sienna, it was one of the first of the latest generation just like the TCH is now. After a month or so it developed really squeeky sliding doors and the solution turned out to simply be rubber coated latches. These new latches ended up on the assembly line by mid run of the 2004 model year run. I wonder how long before we see the squeeky console TSB. Fortunately this was the only problem I've ever had with my Sienna so I'm expecting the same of the TCH, it's token problem found, it's clear sailing from here...

fullofbeans 07-05-2006 07:35 PM

make sure your dealer fixes it. tells us how it works out.

SanDiegoBlue 07-07-2006 11:12 PM

Okay, so I didn't really understand what the description of the squeak in this post was until it started in my car this weekend. It is REALLY annoying given that the car is so quiet otherwise. The "crickets having sex" is pretty accurate. I describe it as similar to the sound a CD player makes when it is endlessly searching for a track on a bad disc, sort of a high pitched but quiet chirping/squeak. It is now happening over almost every bump or vibration. It completely stops if I put pressure right over the front left part of the shifter plate cover near the joint close to the left fin. Has anyone else fixed this on their own? I can just imagine taking up a whole day to have the dealer tell me he couldn't find it or have an incomplete fix... Seems to me that this is something Toyota will be fixing on the assembly line quickly given how commonplace this specific squeak appears to be.

I also have a sort of metallic "creak" type sound coming from somewhere in the rear package shelf or maybe backseat area over larger bumps or vibrations. Anyone else have something similar happening? I don't even have 300 mi yet!

GreenHawaii 07-12-2006 12:46 AM

Fullofbeans, sorry to hear they scratched up your car. That is exactly what I am worried about and I would prefer not to go through that with the dealer, I don't want them to make it any worse. I don't have squeaks or noises anywhere else. Initially I thought I did but it was something rolling around in the center storage console that my husband had put inside.

lem144 07-12-2006 09:00 AM

Re: Squeaking in the center console??? - CUPHOLDER

I found my squeak. The cupholder lid is the culprit. When the lid is open, there is a squeak coming from the lid, it is less noisy/more faint when the lid is closed. I am going to have the Techs fix this when I have my side moldings put on.

kkani 07-12-2006 11:47 AM

The main culprit on my car is the left fin. But there is also a rattle beneath the shift lever. It is one of those things that once you observe it, it will bug you continuously. Very annoying. I am going to poke around that area this weekend and hope to find a fix.
-k

bernt 07-22-2006 11:44 PM

Has anybody come up with a consistent fix for this? Just picked up my new TCH tonight and was halfway home before I noticed the squeak. When I take it back to the dealership, I'd love to be able to suggest a way to remedy the noise.

mayall 07-23-2006 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bernt
Has anybody come up with a consistent fix for this?

I also have the squeak in the center console. I'm also hoping that someone on this thread reports the cause and fix.

Will Mayall

lem144 07-23-2006 03:06 PM

MINE WAS FIXED YESTERDAY!!! Apparently, there is a clip somewhere near the shift lever inside the console. I had the service manager fix mine - he said the clip hadn't been properly attached. Ever since taking it in yesterday, there has been absolutely NO BUZZ. This buzz was coming from next to the area where the cupholder door opens into, next to the shift lever. Fix yours today!

QUOTE=mayall]I also have the squeak in the center console. I'm also hoping that someone on this thread reports the cause and fix.

Will Mayall[/QUOTE]

nash 07-28-2006 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by lem144
Apparently, there is a clip somewhere near the shift lever inside the console. I had the service manager fix mine - he said the clip hadn't been properly attached. Ever since taking it in yesterday, there has been absolutely NO BUZZ. This buzz was coming from next to the area where the cupholder door opens into, next to the shift lever.

Mine has started squeaking... I found if I hold the driver's side fin and genlty pull it towards me, the console stops squeaking. Is this the same squeak?

Is this clip something I can easily attach myself, or do I need to get it fixed by Toyota?

lem144 07-28-2006 11:06 AM

It could be the same buzz. I am not sure if you can do it yourself, but you probaby can. I was not under there.

Originally Posted by nash
Mine has started squeaking... I found if I hold the driver's side fin and genlty pull it towards me, the console stops squeaking. Is this the same squeak?

Is this clip something I can easily attach myself, or do I need to get it fixed by Toyota?

kluken 07-31-2006 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
I was right about to post about this problem. I have it on my car too. I went to the dealer and booked an appt. for them to fix it on my car. I went for a drive with one of the dealer employees to show him. It appear to be the center console on the left side under the small vertical piece. You can pull this off with a good yank. (It has a couple of clips holding it on.) I do believe it is the bottom piece. It appears that the fit is too tight and that gives you the "crickets have sex" sound. Def. bring it to your dealer. Your not the first one to notice this. I remember another owner mentioning it last week on another site. edumunds.com I believe. My appt. isn't till July 3rd, but I'll post how they resolve the issue. Please post your results, but get your dealer to fix it. Our car is so quiet that little squeaks like that in a new car gets old very, very quick.

bingo, I have same thing, those 2 vertical strips on either side of the big cubby squeak. Mine started this past weekend after 8 quiet days. I noticed that my leg leans agains the left one, if I keep my leg off it, it gets quiet. I will let the dealer look at it when I bring it in for my Sirius issues. Back deck vibrates under heavy bass, but I have foudn that in virtually any car witha decnt sound system. I'll get back they and put some padding under the deck.

flopshot 08-11-2006 10:34 PM

Here is the $2 fix for this problem...

I picked up my TCH last week and immediately noticed the infamous center console squeak. After doing some research on this website on how to remove the pillar covers and the console cover, I found a quick and simple fix that nobody seems to have tried. So stop waiting for your dealer to try and fix this, it is very simple to do.
Go to your local hardware or home improvement store and pick up a $2 pack of small self-stick felt pads, the kind you stick on the feet of chairs so they don't scratch the floor. (I used 1/2" medium duty pads) . Then unscrew your shift knob, then remove the plastic pillar covers and the center console cover. I don't have heated seats so I didn't need to disconnect any wires. You will notice some empty room between the holes in the console plate. Place a couple of the felt pads in between the various holes, I only needed 4. (TIP - don't put a felt pad at the bottom of the console, or you won't be able to pop that part of the cover back in). Pop the console cover back into place. The pads will provide enough extra cushion that the cover will no longer rattle. It took me all of 5 minutes to do this fix, and my rattle was 100% cured.

Hope this helps a lot of you!

RCFlyer 08-17-2006 04:06 PM

Can someone possibly post some pictures of the process of removing the panels or where you are putting the pads under the center console cover when it is removed... I think that might help a lot of people understand where to place the pads.... or is it pretty clear once you have it off? Thanks!

mayall 08-17-2006 04:14 PM

I have the squeaking. I took the car in to have it fixed. The dealer says the console box needs to be replaced. I take it in tomorrow for the replacement.

I'd prefer to have the dealer fix the squeak. It is under warranty and Toyota should know that they have a problem.

Will Mayall

flopshot 08-18-2006 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RCFlyer
Can someone possibly post some pictures of the process of removing the panels or where you are putting the pads under the center console cover when it is removed... I think that might help a lot of people understand where to place the pads.... or is it pretty clear once you have it off? Thanks!

There is a post over at TN in the Gen5-6 forum which shows how you can remove the fins and the console cover. I did not take my own pictures.

Here is where I placed my pads after the cover was removed. (Note - as mentioned in my earlier post, I removed the pad at the bottom of the picture, because I could not snap the cover back into place with that pad there)

RCFlyer 08-18-2006 12:10 PM

Thanks- That Helps!!!

ntguru 08-18-2006 01:07 PM

Forgive me, but what is TN? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Originally Posted by flopshot
There is a post over at TN in the Gen5-6 forum which shows how you can remove the fins and the console cover. I did not take my own pictures.

Here is where I placed my pads after the cover was removed. (Note - as mentioned in my earlier post, I removed the pad at the bottom of the picture, because I could not snap the cover back into place with that pad there)

mayall 08-18-2006 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ntguru
Forgive me, but what is TN? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Here's the link to the post:

Toyota Nation

Will Mayall

mayall 08-18-2006 01:54 PM

BTW. The post on Toyota Nation does not show removing the gear shift knob. To remove the knob, simply unscrew the entire knob.

Will Mayall

ntguru 08-19-2006 04:59 PM

Ah, thanks.

I took my car in once already for the center console squeak and the dealer fixed it but a week later it was back in full force. FWIW, I believe there are two sources of the squeaking.

Once is the center console plastic panel that everyone's talking about. The other is the shifter column itself. I noticed that the higher-pitched squeak on my TCH seems to be from the slight side-to-side jittering of the shifter column/stalk. If I hold it with modest force that squeaking goes away and only the squeak from the console itself remains. If I rapidly shake the shifter side to side I can replicate the squeak.

Originally Posted by mayall
Here's the link to the post:

Toyota Nation

Will Mayall

mayall 08-20-2006 02:22 PM

I took the car in to have it fixed. The dealer says the console box needs to be replaced.

No surprise, the dealer's replacement of the console box did not fix the squeak.

I took the left and right "garnish" pieces off, then the shift knob, and the large plate around the shift. After putting it back together, it no longer squeaks. I'll bet it starts squeaking again. :)

Will Mayall

kluken 08-20-2006 04:40 PM

I used some rubber tape at first, but realized that plastic on rubber would squeak and after 2 days it did, my latest was to try the cloth side of velcro, it make a nice fabric fit so hopefully plastic rubbing on fabris will not squeak. I'm guessing Toyota will have an official fix eventually, but seeing as the center console comes out so easy why wait.

mayall 08-20-2006 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by kluken
I used some rubber tape at first, but realized that plastic on rubber would squeak and after 2 days it did, my latest was to try the cloth side of velcro

When trying to fix my squeak, I used cloth bandaides. I cut the pieces from the end of the bandaide. I did not end up using this as a fix because I never found the actual cause of the squeak but it seemed like it would work. :)

Will Mayall

lem144 08-21-2006 06:36 AM

I'm surprised Toyota hasn't issued a TSB for this already. This has to be annoying to them, it certainly is to me (to continue to read about it). :P

I had my rattle fixed when the service manager attached a clip near the shifter that wasn't attached. I've been squeak free for over a month now.

I have the squeaking. I took the car in to have it fixed. The dealer says the console box needs to be replaced. I take it in tomorrow for the replacement.

I'd prefer to have the dealer fix the squeak. It is under warranty and Toyota should know that they have a problem.

Will Mayall

hamm3r 08-21-2006 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by lem144
I'm surprised Toyota hasn't issued a TSB for this already. This has to be annoying to them, it certainly is to me (to continue to read about it). :P

I had my rattle fixed when the service manager attached a clip near the shifter that wasn't attached. I've been squeak free for over a month now.

Would it help if you just rub a tiny tiny bit of petroleum or grease along the parts that touch? I'm thinking a thin thin layer.