Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Run Flat Tires

One way to regain a chunk of trunk space would be to ditch the spare and go with run-flats.

I know there is all sorts of poo-pooing of run flats, but I have them on other cars and are just fine.

I don't think they make them in 215/60/16. I could be wrong.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Run Flat Tires

Originally Posted by mikecism
One way to regain a chunk of trunk space would be to ditch the spare and go with run-flats.

I know there is all sorts of poo-pooing of run flats, but I have them on other cars and are just fine.

I don't think they make them in 215/60/16. I could be wrong.
hehe "poo-pooing".....I have read many posts about Siennas and I think Honda Odysseys (sp?) that owners were very upset about them. Very expensive to replace, and early to wear out. Probably don't have LRR either.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
hehe "poo-pooing".....I have read many posts about Siennas and I think Honda Odysseys (sp?) that owners were very upset about them. Very expensive to replace, and early to wear out. Probably don't have LRR either.
I have a Sienna with run flats...they are just fine. I think maybe the first year there were issues, but I have not seen any in my drivings. I think they are pretting good.

I think the anti-run flat crowd is just a vocal minority who either drive thier cars poorly, don't like not having a spare, or don't take care of tires.

See the Consumer Report's articles on it...they are **** about measuring the run-flats, and they are having no issues/normal wear.

You could nearly double the trunk space in the TCH if they went with run-flats.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Electricity Guzzler

Some jurisdictions don't allow you to ditch your spare. In Ontario, Canada I do believe that it's a fineable offense under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act not to have a serviceable spare in your car. I agree with this. In the province of Quebec next year you will have to have 4 winter tires on your car as well for the white stuff. I think the dates are betw. Oct. 15 and March 15.

I think that all cars should be mandated to have booster cables too and that changing a flat should also be part of the Driver's Exam as well.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
Some jurisdictions don't allow you to ditch your spare. In Ontario, Canada I do believe that it's a fineable offense under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act not to have a serviceable spare in your car. I agree with this. In the province of Quebec next year you will have to have 4 winter tires on your car as well for the white stuff. I think the dates are betw. Oct. 15 and March 15.

I think that all cars should be mandated to have booster cables too and that changing a flat should also be part of the Driver's Exam as well.
This shows how quickly laws become obsolete.

All Corvettes sold since 1997 don't have a spare.
Many others don't.

It is a growing phenomenon.

Toyota could have put the hybrid battery where the spare tire is and left us a nice big trunk and passthrough to play with!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

my 05 Honda accord hybrid came with no spare either. I went and got one asap! I think the newer models did come with a spare.

I agree, if you want to drive, be able to prove you can change a flat tire, be it man/woman or teen.

I also agree its a good idea to make it a fine-able on the spot payment for not carrying a usable spare tire. Perhaps every vehicle stop made by an officer should include a tire and spare check right on the spot and have it towed away if not as should be.

Back to original topic, the HAH came with an air compressor and a bottle of goo. Their feeling was it would help MPGs.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 AM

Slightly off topic... I checked my other car's spare yesterday, it was out of air, unable to be used for driving.
Word to the wise, check your spare tire's inflation occasionally

Old 03-22-2008, 06:52 AM

That's interesting.

On a different note, I pay AAA for a reason ... not that I plan on taking the flat out.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

On a different note, I pay AAA for a reason ... not that I plan on taking the flat out.
Funny you should say that - I just watched "Motorweek" and Pat Goss did a segment on jacking up your vehicle. He went into great detail (as usual) about the different types of jacks and appropriate surfaces to place them on. Then, he finished it off by flipping out his cell phone saying if you don't want to get involved in jacking up your car, JUST CALL YOUR AUTO CLUB!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, that's Canada, and that doesn't count anyway... ;-) Just kidding, my Cannukian beer loving friends.

Yes, different national laws are one tthing...But I think more and more, run flats will increase in use.

I'd love to pull the 17"s off my Sienna and put them on the TCH, but they are 225/60/17; I think there would be an issue since the TCH is 215/60/16. Any thoughts of putting a slightly wider tire on the car?

Quick Reply: Run Flat Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands