Need assistance copying the 5.1 DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Need assistance copying the 5.1 DVD

I'm having difficulty making a backup copy of my 5.1 dvd. My dvd drive is DL +/-R capable, I'm using DL (TDK) DVD +R media and nero express 7 software.
I've tried a copy using the copy DVD function with verification enabled. and I've made a copy by coping all the files to a subdirectory and then making a data DVD. Both methods appear to complete with no errors however, when I put the dvd into the unit - it states it can't read the dvd - contact dealer. Putting the original in fixes the error. I know some of you have successfully made a copy. What's the trick? I following the instructions found on the club lexus site but the device doesn't read the dvd ....

I want a copy because of the Nov 14 TSB outlining the changing of the DVD media. My unit is working fine but falls into the VIN dates, but I agree with one poster that states that this a great way for toyota toreplace the 5.1 disks in order to eliminate the overide function.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need assistance copying the 5.1 DVD

First put original disc into a drive and start nero toolkit/nero info tool. Click on disc and write down all the info. You should have parallel track, ISO 9660, Joliet, UDF file system. Now put burn disc and see what it says there. Maybe the file system is different. Also try to see if you can copy disc using ISO image. If you can somehow get a program to copy ISO file, like DVD decrypter use that instead, much easier. You can also download IMAGE BURN for free and use that to burn the disc as well. I would also suggest to use Verbatim DL disc.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by KC Rusty
I'm having difficulty making a backup copy of my 5.1 dvd. My dvd drive is DL +/-R capable, I'm using DL (TDK) DVD +R media and nero express 7 software.
I've tried a copy using the copy DVD function with verification enabled. and I've made a copy by coping all the files to a subdirectory and then making a data DVD. Both methods appear to complete with no errors however, when I put the dvd into the unit - it states it can't read the dvd - contact dealer. Putting the original in fixes the error. I know some of you have successfully made a copy. What's the trick? I following the instructions found on the club lexus site but the device doesn't read the dvd ....

I want a copy because of the Nov 14 TSB outlining the changing of the DVD media. My unit is working fine but falls into the VIN dates, but I agree with one poster that states that this a great way for toyota toreplace the 5.1 disks in order to eliminate the overide function.
I use Verbatim DL+R media. I did a straight DVD Copy using Nero 6.0. My NAV's DVD reads the copy just fine. No magic. The DVD is not encrypted or otherwise copy protected. It is a Dual Layer DVD which you already know. Oh, I use only Plextor drives. PX-716 A's and UF's.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Could it be a Dual Layer DVD? If so, the capacity of a single layer burn will be insufficient.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Could it be a Dual Layer DVD? If so, the capacity of a single layer burn will be insufficient.
Yea and every message in this thread references it as DL (Dual Layer). The OP says he uses DL media.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default UPDATE Re: Need assistance copying the 5.1 DVD

I tried Nero 7 - could not make a workable copy. Downloaded a trial copy of Prassi "ONES" as described in the ClubLexus forum - Success - made a functional copy the first time. I followed the instructions as laid out in that forum and it worked great.
Thanks everyone for their valuable assistance

Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: UPDATE Re: Need assistance copying the 5.1 DVD

Originally Posted by KC Rusty
I tried Nero 7 - could not make a workable copy.
Nero 7 is garbage.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

I love Nero. It's pretty robust and I use it directly or as the engine to copy everything.

I just now made a good copy of the 5.1 with Nero Express 6. First try, no problems, accepted all of the defaults. I ran out to the car to test it and was able to plot a nice route from NJ to a McDonald's in VT

Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I have no issues with Nero (or Nero Express) 6.
It's the bloatware Nero 7 that is a load of dog poop.