MPG needle stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast
Question MPG needle stuck!

Ok...I've experienced this 3 times now. The first 2 times I thought it was my imagination. But the last time....I'm positive that I accelerated and the MPG gage went up to 0, then I let off the gas since I was coasting to a red light and the needle didn't budge! It stayed at 0. I got to the light and braked and the needle was still at 0! Finally I turned off the car, forgot to put it in park, so it told me I had to have the car in park to start it, got the car started again just before the light turned green. The gage was back in working order then. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 07-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG needle stuck!

Haven't seen that. In fact I've never seen it go to zero while accelerating, only when stopped with the ICE running.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

it will stay at 0 if the ICE is on and the battery is charged too low to go into EV mode.

I think you are seeing normal behavior.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:27 PM
HSD Organic Interface

I can usually get the needle up to the top (in my case the top is 30L/100km which is about 7mpg) anytime I accelerate moderately hard from a slow speed. When coasting to a stop while the ICE is running (cold or charging, etc.) it will quickly drift up to the top range as the car comes to a stop, but isn't usually there when above 5 or 10mph. I guess to really figure if this is normal or defect is to try to figure where engine temp, battery SoC, and A/C might factor in during this time. When you do come to a stop and if ICE is still running, it should stop within a few seconds. Then the needle should drop. If it doesn't, then something is wrong for sure.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I figure the car knows itself better than I do, so I try not to worry about the stuck needle. I've become so addicted to coasting up to a red light in golf-cart mode that I get ticked when the ICE is running and the needle pegs the 0 MPG. To Droid13's point, if the ICE shuts off, the needle should drop.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah that drives me crazy, too. For awhile I kept thinking that I was burning psycho amounts of gas while stopped because it says 0 MPG.

Then I felt stupid .

Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
WVGasGuy

For awhile I kept thinking that I was burning psycho amounts of gas while stopped because it says 0 MPG.

Actually if your ICE is running and you're sitting still you are at an instant FE of 0 mpg.