Have you Changed your Engine Air Filter???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Have you Changed your Engine Air Filter???

Be very careful!!!
Make sure the dealership uses the right parts or else you might have problems.
My Story:

I changed my Engine Air filter last Tuesday and on my way home from the dealership I stepped on the accelerator (for max. power) and there was this loud unusual noise(it sounded like those old cars trying to move). Immediately, I knew something was wrong. I watched the instant mpg meter and noticed that this abnormal behavior only occurred when I stepped on the gas real hard till the instant mpg meter was at 10mpg. This means that if I didn't try to drive hard like I normally do, I would have never noticed it!

I took it back to the dealer today and they got it fixed. They apologised, fixed the problem, they claim they used a wrong part (I suspected they did and called them over the weekend with my dissatisfaction), and threw in a free oil change the next time I show up.

These dealerships need to understand that hybrids are very sensitive and they should stop trying to cut corners and do the right thing!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Have you Changed your Engine Air Filter???

I replaced mine with a K&N filter. It's been great for the last 25k miles.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, I changed it... with an off-the-shelf FRAM filter.

The resonant noise you describe means they either used completely the wrong shape, or they never got the air box back together.

This is an act of inexcusable boneheaded-ness.

In any shop, the 'oilers' are the green-hands, the new guys and frequently they are the dumbest of the bunch.

Why won't you just do your own maintenance?? It's cheap, it's SIMPLE and no one in the world will look after your car like you will.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have changed mine twice. First to a TRD reusable filter, then after lots of reading on how poorly those filter, I changed to a Purolator filter around 10.5k. I had **** bugs (flies and a bee) in my filter!

Never had a weird problem...

What was wrong? As in, what was the wrong part?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:12 AM

I have also installed a K&N filter and have had no problems. It also is great to increase airflow. !

Old 03-19-2008, 04:14 AM

The details are where most of the problems come in. Dealerships need to make sure they are doing the right thing, all the time. It seems that doesn't always happen.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

My Toyota dealer hybrid tech strongly suggested against the KN filter because the KN filers do not clean the air very well. They are having trouble with dirty sensors and top end engine wear. My jeep dealer is not recommending them either for the same reason.

Your Toyota dealer will have a tech that works only on Hybrids, you may want to call your dealer about this...

I thought you should know.

Bill

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
My Toyota dealer hybrid tech strongly suggested against the KN filter because the KN filers do not clean the air very well. They are having trouble with dirty sensors and top end engine wear. My jeep dealer is not recommending them either for the same reason.
I've had a similar experience using a K&N filter I found a build up of fine dirt on the throttle body when used in my F150.

I never noticed any mpg gain from the K&N, and I didn't notice any more power when towing.