DRLs OFF Software Option Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DRLs OFF Software Option Question

Originally Posted by haroldo
If I might ask, what benefit is there in turning the DRLs off?
Two benefits.

1) people can see you if you are coming from the west in the afternoon. I've been in locations where the direction the sun set made it difficult to see a car with their lights on. I'm assuming that they were DRL's.

2) The way some DRL's are designed (placement & brightness), they make distance perception more difficult.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Are you going to take your car to the dealer and have them turn the DRLs off? You would then be able to test right there by switching to DRL off then back to AUTO.
I'll be having the change made at the 5K service and will report back the results...

Old 05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Smilin' Jack — I believe that what Mikieboyblue says is correct. However, the Wiring Diagram (attached) doesn't absolutely confirm this, since we don't know exactly what's programmed into the ECU. Look at page 6, which shows the headlight switch for both the US and Canadian versions. The 'DRL-OFF' and 'OFF' positions are identical in the two models, it seems, and so this switch by itself can't control the different DRL behaviors. [The line between the terminals labelled 'A' on the switch and the Main Body ECU is presumably the one that controls the AUTO function.] But just what is done regarding the DRLs is hidden inside the ECU! And, the ECU program presumably must be different in the two models. Page 5 shows the solid-state "DRL Relay" controlled by the "Light Control Circuit" which is itself controlled by the terminal 'DRL' on the ECU.

Stan

Attached Files