Dealers Unwilling to Custom Order?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Dealers Unwilling to Custom Order?

I've been in the market for a Camry Hybrid now for about two months,
and I've noticed something rather disturbing. I have a specific vehicle
combination in mind (Red TCH, leather, sunroof, NAV) which dealers tell
me is roughly equivalent to finding a live unicorn on the lot.

Most of the dealers I have dealt with in LA/OC area have shown distinct indifference when it comes to a custom order. Some have even gone so far as to say "Oh, that takes too long", and walk away from me.

Now, I expect the attempt to move you to a different color/option set, as that's
part of their stock-in-trade, but when they try to move me to a completely
different model of vehicle (in one salesman, dissing hybrids completely - he
had none on the lot to sell), that's entirely different.

Have any of you who've ordered TCHs found this to be true?

Thx,

Cid404 (a hopeful future TCH owner).

Old 10-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealers Unwilling to Custom Order?

I was lucky enough to find a red TCH just like the one you describe on its way to port. - I was flexible on color but not on otpions. I'd actually been looking for a blue one, but I'm quite happy with this one.

More to the point, I was getting lots of pushback from a few local dealers that I simply had to take what was available.

I elected to change dealers rather than change my mind. Some dealers demonstrate very quickly that they're only interested in you if you're interested in something on the lot (which is fine - it just wasn't what I needed).

Ultimately I ended up sending emails to the 15 or so dealers in the DFW area and eventually connected with two internet/fleet salesfolk who were interested in finding me the car I wanted. Perhaps doing similarly would work for you.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

I live in Monterey County, CA. I custom ordered my Jasper Pearl Hybrid in early June. It is fully loaded but there were a few things I just didn't want, security system, and I don't quite recall what else I didn't want. My sales rep said it would have to be ordered from the factory in Japan and would take up to 8 weeks. My car arrived exactly 7 weeks later, however, it did come with the security system, I still did not want to pay for it, they finally agreed to deduct the cost. I did get calls twice from the salesperson to let me know that a TCH had become available (not with the specs that I had ordered), I just reminded him that I was not in a hurry and would wait for the one I had ordered. I did not regret ordering a "custom" TCH, find a dealership that is user friendly, they are out there. You will most likely know more about the car than most salespeople. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:57 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Unfortunately, many Toyota dealers have a reputation for almost outright refusing to special order a vehicle. In 2000 I was considering a Pontiac Bonneville SSEI surpercharged vs a Toyota Avalon. I went to three Toyota dealers in the area and was practically told to shove off if I didn't take something in stock. Needless to say, I bought the Bonneville.

With the TCH I got real lucky. I was communicating with 2 dealers thru their internet people and told them what I wanted. I got an email one night saying exactly what I wanted just came in and I could test drive it the next morning. I drove it and bought it the same day. I also test drove a new 2006 Accord Hybrid the same day from the same dealer. But I still think they would have resisted special ordering the car. I just got lucky is all.

I have been an owner of a Barcelona Red TCH with leather, NAV, moonroof, and Sirius sat radio for the last 5 months.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Dealers Unwilling to Custom Order?

Originally Posted by cid404
I've been in the market for a Camry Hybrid now for about two months,
and I've noticed something rather disturbing. I have a specific vehicle
combination in mind (Red TCH, leather, sunroof, NAV) which dealers tell
me is roughly equivalent to finding a live unicorn on the lot.

Most of the dealers I have dealt with in LA/OC area have shown distinct indifference when it comes to a custom order. Some have even gone so far as to say "Oh, that takes too long", and walk away from me.

Now, I expect the attempt to move you to a different color/option set, as that's
part of their stock-in-trade, but when they try to move me to a completely
different model of vehicle (in one salesman, dissing hybrids completely - he
had none on the lot to sell), that's entirely different.

Have any of you who've ordered TCHs found this to be true?

Thx,

Cid404 (a hopeful future TCH owner).
You just have to find the right dealer. I custom ordered mine. I wanted Nav and leather but not the moonroof. It took about 3 months to get it. I also live in the LA area. I would recommend South Bay Toyota in Gardena. Ask for Tina.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sadly, your experience is not unusual. Most vehicle salesmen make it on commission, so they're motivated by a deal today. If they can move you to something on the lot (a different color, trim line, option set or even a different model) and away from a custom order, they make commission sooner, with less work and less risk that you'll bail on the order. "Tell 'em what they want, sell 'em what you got."

Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

We custom ordered my wife's loaded Desert Sand Mica June 20 from Love Toyota in WV. We had to put $100 down, they ordered it from the factory in Japan. It came in July 19, we picked it up the next day. No hassel at all from the dealer.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
amf
amf

Sorry for your experience. I would be glad to help you.

Send me an email off line with your contact information and I will do my best to get you the vehicle you want.

Alan
Freeman Toyota
Santa Rosa, CA

Old 10-19-2006, 08:24 PM
rjm
Enthusiast

H2ODoctor....About not getting the moonroof but leather. Every dealer told me that I would never get the vehicle because if they custom order the vehicle with leather and no moonroof that the factory will not build it. So you can confirm you ordered yours with no moonroof and leather. Thanks, Bob

Last edited by rjm; 10-19-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer was perfectly willing to put in a custom order, with the caveat of a long wait time (note, I ordered in January of 07). At that time, they were making a very limited selection of the cars to meet demand as fast as possible.

I ended up taking a different color than I thought I wanted (which I find myself preferring more now) and not getting the nav system in order to make sure I got my car in time for the tax credit. A Garmin Nuvi solved the nav system issue.

Most dealers I have dealt with do the same thing, they'll place your order with a nice deposit, but if something close comes in, give you a call and see if its something you might want. Any dealer who doesn't? Find another dealer, there are plenty who will do it for you.

As a note, I'm not sure about Toyota, but I know for a fact that BMW dealers make a little more profit on the 'stock' models, to offset the carrying costs of having them on the lot. Therefore if they can move a lot car faster than average, they make more money, hence another part of the push for a quick sale.

Quick Reply: Dealers Unwilling to Custom Order?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands