Considering a VAIS SL2i...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Considering a VAIS SL2i...

Definitely interested in your feedback David

Another matter of note that crossed my mind recently is: Where are you folks mounting your VAIS units? I had initially thought to just nestle the little sucker back behind the radio, but that makes updating the firmware a chore. So really you'd need it some place that would let you keep the harness cables out of sight, but have the vais unit itself exposed. The glovebox, I guess, is the next best spot maybe?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Professional Hacker

Don't worry about the location. Firmware is uploaded with a USB-to-iPod adapter. the adapter connects to the iPod end of the SL2i's cable.

While I'm in there, I'm going to install a Speed Pulse Generator too. I'm building it myself, so I hope that I get it right the first time.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

d'oh, re read the vais site, i understand how the firmware update works now.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Professional Hacker

Okay, my SL2Vi is installed, along with a home-made Speed Pulse Generator and a bypass switch. So far so good. I haven't driven it yet, but it does look like the SPG is working. The NAV is picking up a pulse every 3 seconds. This should be enough to prevent the lock-out.

As for the SL2Vi, I have audio and video, with a few quirks.

Video: I thought that it would start playing the Video Playlist. it seems that I have to select the video from the iPod itself. no biggie... I don't expect to do this often. But it sure will be nice when I'm waiting for the wife to "just run in for a second".

Audio: No EQ via the dock connector. No biggie, that was expected. My main issue is that the File / Folder sections do not work. They are just blank... no boxes even. In reading more, it seems that this is a Prius only option. I'll have to wait and see if there is a firmware update.

I'll post more tomorrow once I know if the SPG is working as expected.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Intrus
Audio: No EQ via the dock connector. No biggie, that was expected. My main issue is that the File / Folder sections do not work. They are just blank... no boxes even. In reading more, it seems that this is a Prius only option. I'll have to wait and see if there is a firmware update.

I'll post more tomorrow once I know if the SPG is working as expected.
Interesting. I went back and took a look at the car I was driving before my Camry (Honda w. Kenwood aftermarket stereo w/ ipod dock) and that system does actually output EQ adjusted audio via the dock connector. Maybe the vais unit locks it out or disables it somehow.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Professional Hacker

It actually seems that the SL2Vi and SL2i decode the audio, which is why the stereo has access to the playlists. The more generic interfaces simple tell the iPod to play.. skip... pause... etc. Where the VAIS units are able to access the full database.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

What version of the Firmware do you have on the SL2Vi? 4.44 or 4.42?

I have the Soundgate model (which is a rebranded VAIS SL2i) in my Camry installed at the port and am considering upgrading from the 4.42 to the 4.44 firmware, but it'll cost ~$58 to get the USB updater for the device.

I have an '09 TCH with Factory Nav as well.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Professional Hacker

Okay, I played some more and I can not CONFIRM that the EQ settings ARE used. The tracks that I was testing with had preset EQ settings that were unaffected by the iPods default setting.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Professional Hacker

Just keep in mind that the Camry WILL NOT display Files or Folders with the 4.44 firmware. I'm not sure what you have now, but don't let the FILE/FOLDER display influence your choice. Maybe in a later firmware..

Old 08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Enthusiast

Curiouser and curiouser

Well in the meantime (I'm allowed to hijack my own thread right?) hows' the speed pulse generator working? That just spoofs the signal the Nav system uses to tell if the car's in motion or not, right?

Quick Reply: Considering a VAIS SL2i...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands