Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

SUV or Minivan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default SUV or Minivan?

I recently ran across this article. It's about a year old.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/...20feat_ls.html

I do understand that people who need to tow things (a decent amount of people) need to purchase an SUV. Also, people who off-road (very rare) need to purchase an SUV. However, lots of people whose needs are best met by a minivan end up purchasing an SUV.

Why is this?

I know there are a lot of different answers to this question, but I look forward to hearing them all.

From the best I can gather, most people think minivans are vehicles for "old" people or "soccer moms." I know it is their right to choose whichever vehicle they want--I just do not understand it. To me, it just goes to show how far people will go to avoid the "old people" or "soccer mom" stigma.

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 07-26-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 AM
Java Geek
Default Re: SUV or Minivan?

Minivans are considered distinctly 'uncool' by the er.. crowd..

Old 07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
I recently ran across this article. It's about a year old.

http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/...20feat_ls.html

I do understand that people who need to tow things (a decent amount of people) need to purchase an SUV. Also, people who off-road (very rare) need to purchase an SUV. However, lots of people whose needs are best met by a minivan end up purchasing an SUV.

Why is this?

I know there are a lot of different answers to this question, but I look forward to hearing them all.

My older sister has recently expanded her family, as have I. Their current SUV is getting too cramped. I suggested a minivan. They would not even discuss this. A minivan was out of the question. They want to upgrade their 2000 Pathfinder to a Nissan Armada. These people do not go camping, do any towing, or even do any home improvement projects--much less off-roading. For the most part, these people are extremely frugal financially--although they make lots of money.

It puzzles me how they would not even consider a minivan. From the best I can gather, they think minivans are vehicles for "old" people. I know it is their right to choose whichever vehicle they want. To me, it just goes to show how far people will go to avoid the "old people" or "soccer mom" stigma.
Before we bought the HiHy we were actually going to go the MiniVan route. When the HiHy was realeased it actually got better gas mileages so we went with it instead.

I think one of the reasons people go with the SUV vs the MiniVan is ride/handling.

While the SUV's aren't the best for handling, it is more like driving a car since you still sit further behind the front wheels. Driving a mini-van is a slight different feel behind the wheel and can take a while to get use to.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chilly
Before we bought the HiHy we were actually going to go the MiniVan route. When the HiHy was realeased it actually got better gas mileages so we went with it instead.

I think one of the reasons people go with the SUV vs the MiniVan is ride/handling.

While the SUV's aren't the best for handling, it is more like driving a car since you still sit further behind the front wheels. Driving a mini-van is a slight different feel behind the wheel and can take a while to get use to.
I can understand why somebody would choose a vehicle like the HiHy over a minivan. I would also consider a HiHy if I had it to do all over again--although I think I would still end up going with the minivan. The power sliding doors come in so handy with kids. I've also taken advantage of its cargo capacity many times.

When I was in the market, I test drove the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey. To me, the Honda handled so much better. It also had more power and better EPA ratings. The VCM helps with that. I wonder when we will get a hybrid minivan here in the US.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Enthusiast

I also looked at different Mini vans. The Honda does maybe drive better (Not as High?)than the Toyota, but:
resale is less for us in New Zealand
They don't last as long as the Estima.
Don't come in a Hybrid.
Also the Estima hybrid has traction control & Stability control which changes the handling a lot.
SUV are getting a bad press now that our gas is $1.77 per litre.
I didn't even look at SUV's, due to the fact that they use too much gas and handle like a dog on our twisty roads.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceship
I also looked at different Mini vans. The Honda does maybe drive better (Not as High?)than the Toyota, but:
resale is less for us in New Zealand
They don't last as long as the Estima.
Don't come in a Hybrid.
Also the Estima hybrid has traction control & Stability control which changes the handling a lot.
SUV are getting a bad press now that our gas is $1.77 per litre.
I didn't even look at SUV's, due to the fact that they use too much gas and handle like a dog on our twisty roads.
That's cool that the Estima is available where you are. I wish I could have had that option. What is the EPA rating on your 2001 Estima hybrid? Are the current Estimas much different? If I remember correctly, the Estima is a bit smaller than the Toyota minivan (Sienna) that is sold here in the US. My Odyssey also has the traction and stability control.

Edit: I guess the EPA thing is a stupid question since it has not available in the US.

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 07-19-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:32 AM

I think the Estima was redesigned for January 2006. This vehicle is estimated to get 40+mpg. WOW!!!

http://www.toyota.com/about/environm...y/minivan.html

http://autoreview.belproject.com/item/83

Edit: The 40+mpg is based upon the Japanese cycle. I hear it is way more generous than the EPA. Imagine that.

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 07-19-2006 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Enthusiast

In the real world, in winter I am getting 10.5 to 11kpl. This is in winter and the trips are about 10 to 15 mins long, which doesn't help as it takes nearly 10 mins to warm up properly. At the end of the short run it is getting around 14 to 18 kpl @ 55 kph. There are people who have got over 18kpl for a whole tank full 70 Litres. My best is 12.2 kpl for 300km with 7 people and fully loaded. This included a winding 400m pass 15km long, climbing all the way. Trip was mostly on rolling hill country.
On a freeway lightly loaded and on the flat @ 95 to 100kph you could get 14 to 16 kpl.