Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Pathetic Hummer TV Ad

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pathetic Hummer TV Ad

Originally Posted by Archslater
He also claimed recently that 90% of Chevrolet's get over 30 mpg. He says he is currently posting from a beach on vacation sipping umbrella drinks, so I'll cut him some slack.
To be fair, he said:

Originally Posted by martinjlm
About 90% of the cars Chevrolet sells get 30 mpg highway or more.
This is different than saying that 90% of Chevrolet cars get 30mpg and very different than saying that 90% of Chevrolet vehicles get 30mpg.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think a more telling statistic would include both gas mileage as well as % of sales. While it may be true that 90% of Chevy cars get over 30mpg hwy, what % of Chevrolet's sale are CARS as opposed to trucks/Suv's?

Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Orcrone
They've determined the best way to sell these beasts is to appeal to people's testosterone, even the women. (Insert Tim Allen giving the male grunt at this time - aarrr, aarrr, aarrr).
Yep , agreed.

If I recall, that reminds me of Phillip Morris. They sold lots of products - the vast majority good - Heck, I like many of them. But yet, when most people I know think about Phillip Morris: Tobacco products comes to mind first - especially during the late 80's & 90's when Tobacco was a hotter issue. I believe that after being strong armed by legislation, lawsuits and the rest the Company really regrets having promoted a bad product for the sake of bottom line profit. I still hope other companies could learn from that cue card. After all there's no shortage of good examples to go around.

MSantos

Old 08-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinjlm
GM had an operating profit of 1.2 B this past quarter.
And the LOST 8.6 Billion last year.

I call that bleeding.

GM doesn't have junk bond status because they are in the black. Moody's and S&P don't keep lowering your bond ratings because you are in the black.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
my other car is a FJORD

i haven't been around in a while, and i am curious as to how this forum seems to have become more GM than GH?

what happened to our roots?

Old 08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
To be fair, he said:

This is different than saying that 90% of Chevrolet cars get 30mpg and very different than saying that 90% of Chevrolet vehicles get 30mpg.
Yes, I noted this in my original response to his claim. He switched from a discussion regarding overall vehicles to cars mid paragraph to help his case.

Laurie, you are probably right, however having Martin around to discuss issues GM is invaluable (and fun) and its hard to resist keeping these discussions going..... hopefully we don't anger him to the extent that he stops posting.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Tim K
WHOA. What Ford Escape are you talking about?
Here are the numbers straight from the EPA for 2006:
Whoa!!!! My mistake. EXPLORER not ESCAPE. All these E-words kinda blend when you're on the beach sipping margaritas

The Explorer is in the same market segment and vehicle class as the H#. The Escape is in the same market segment and vehicle class as the Chevy Equinox.

Peace,

Martin

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 08-02-2006 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Chilly
And the LOST 8.6 Billion last year.

I call that bleeding.

GM doesn't have junk bond status because they are in the black. Moody's and S&P don't keep lowering your bond ratings because you are in the black.
I call it BLED. I call a 9.8B turn-around recovery. Matter of perspective. Is the glass half-full, or is it half-empty.

Peace,

Martin