Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Pathetic Hummer TV Ad

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Pathetic Hummer TV Ad

Originally Posted by Tim K
I really like the H3 add I saw the other night.....they finish off the commercial by showboating their gas mileage in bright white letters on a black background....

"20mpg"

Is that really something to be proud of?
Well... That's an improvement over the 12 MPG that the H2 gets and the 8 MPG that the H1 gets. Of course, the 20 MPG quoted is most likely EPA-City, and we ALL know how optimistic thos figures are! The H3 probably get 17 MPG in real-world mileage. Pretty anemic, in my humble opinion.

There used to be a H1 in my neighborhood, but the owner sold it at the height of the Katrina gasoline spike. Yeah, at its worst, it probably cost her almost $1/mile to drive! Well... She traded her H1 in for a H3. Gee, she must feel so cramped now! Ha ha ha ha ha! Lemme tell ya: she's just about the rudest driver in the neighborhood, and I've never seen her NOT take up two parking spaces.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Could there ever be a Hummer add that would not be viewed as Pathetic by our members?

Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by lakedude
Could there ever be a Hummer add that would not be viewed as Pathetic by our members?
Sure! All GM would have to do is make a commercial that highlights the logical and practical reasons for buying a Hummer, such as:

-- Showing a family of five being able to drive in 3' of snow.
-- Show a two fishing buddies towing a boat.
-- Showing a family hauling a camper when they go camping.
-- Showing a hummer being able to handle uneven, poorly paved roads in some midwestern state.
-- Showing two parents packing a whole bunch of stuff to help their kid move into his/her first apartment.
-- Showing a Hummer owner help pull some car out of a ditch.

You know... Logical, reasonable stuff that the truck is actually good for! That wouldn't be pathetic.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I tend to think of small SUVs differently than monster SUVs. For me, compact SUVs are "tall station wagons".

Last edited by AshenGrey; 07-18-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned
Default "Father of the SUV" Interviewed?

Clotaire Rapaille came from France to America and is considered my many to be the one most responsible for making the modern SUV what it is today by appealing to the reptillian instincts. Check out the links....the people doing these commercials know exactly what they are doing

Interview (complete)

Originally Posted by Interview with Father of the SUV? Clotaire Rapaille
....BOB GARFIELD: They are not particularly practical. They are very, very expensive -- at least in the high end of 50,000 dollars and more. They get, some of them, between ten and 15 miles to the gallon. They're difficult to park and everyone who doesn't drive one hates them. Why do people buy SUVs?

CLOTAIRE RAPAILLE: Well, the first key element was kind of a failure by all the car manufacturers in Detroit to create the car that people want! All these cars -- they were boring and ugly. They look all the same; they had no identity. It's a little bit like the cars were telling you well, I, I'm, I'm not so sure of myself; I don't dare to be a car. They - that's what the message of these intellectual cars designed by Nasstar [sp?] - they're trying to get more aerodynamic and gas mileage. And then they were not sexy at all! So suddenly this SUV is hey, the hell with you -I'm strong, I'm big, I'm taller than you --and I'm proud of being that! You know? So the message was more self-confidence.

BOB GARFIELD: If SUV marketing is about appealing to primal instincts, it would seem to me that the hummer, which is possibly the most impractical automobile ever designed--

CLOTAIRE RAPAILLE: Right.

BOB GARFIELD: -- the appeal just be practically bestial!

CLOTAIRE RAPAILLE: You see that, that -- what is fantastic here in, in the time where we are right now -- the hummer is almost a car in uniform. I mean in a time of war, to have a, a, a uniform is the message. I know how to fight; I'm part of a structure; I'm strong. I even told people in Detroit -- and they laugh at me -- I say put four stars on the shoulder of the hummer - you will sell it better. And by the way, if you look at Ralph Lauren right now, his winter collection was full of uniforms; I mean it's the fashion. And people wear a car. You don't drive a car. When people say to me, you know, you need a car to go from point A to point B -- you don't need a hummer to go from point A to point B; you don't need a hummer to go shopping. I mean let's be serious. There are other reasons, other deep, deep motivation there.

BOB GARFIELD: One of the commercials shows a, a series of phrases one after the other--: [ROCK MUSIC UP AND UNDER] Do not do this. Do not do that. Eat your vegetables, it says on screen. [LAUGHTER] Play it safe. And then you hear--: [ROCK MUSIC UP LOUD] and then you see the phrase--: Whatever. Is the message there: "I own a hummer. To hell with you?"

CLOTAIRE RAPAILLE: Definitely something like that. I mean I'm, I'm not behind this message, but there is something about feeling good about the hell with you; I do what I want, you see? And this is part of the American culture. And a lot of people resent this attitude around the world. You see that, that's what a lot of people resent about this administration - what they say is the hell with you - we're going to go to war anyway. But on the other hand there is something positive about it, because we know what we want and we do it!-- whatever it is. You know. So they're using that to sell a hummer. Definitely. And I think it works! I think these guys are, in terms of marketing the hummer, are doing a great job if you look at the sale of the hummer...

Old 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First of all, I did not go looking for this. It was an ad at the top of my My Yahoo! page. You can actually add hummer.com content to your My Yahoo! page. I added it just in the process of clicking on the ad to see what it was about. The only content was a link to the new Hummer Kids site.

http://www.hummer.com/index.html?got...goto_nav=world

You can download Hummer coloring pages. I don't know about you guys, but I'm about to print these out, color them, and hang them on my refrigerator.

Anyone up for a coloring contest?

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 07-19-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
my other car is a FJORD

yes, their ads, and vehicles set the bar for low standards. somewhere, someday, and probably soon, there is going to have to be a massive social change in how we look at what the car represents to us. and responsibility to the planet needs to be part of that. unfortunately, i don't expect much out of the society we live in as far as change. we seem to be too deeply imbedded in ME ME ME and bigger is better.....i'm and grandma, and probably get accused of driving like one, but i would like my grandkids to at least have some future.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Energy Independence!

Long ago, I once saw an EUROPEAN vehicle commercial, which shows -quite dramatically- the cultural differences between USA and Europe.
It goes like this:

Scene one: A Chippendale male stripper arrives at a club in a large Mercedes, he undresses, goes to the stage in full monty (his back to the camera). The ladies give him a lukewarm applause.

Scene two: Another Chippendale stripper arrives in a large American SUV. Repeats the routine. The ladies yawn and show signs of boredom.

Scene three: Another Chippendale arrives in a Small, snazzy European coupe. Don't recall exactly what, could have been a Mini. Repeats the routine. The ladies become wild with emotion and give him a standing ovation.

The closing comments: "The XYZ car: for men who don't require an ego booster." Or something like that.
Quite hilarious, if you ask me.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 PM

I saw it today. It's idiotic and targeting the Neandrethal types.

Any bets some doofus goes into a Hummer dealer and says, "I'm here to RESTORE MY MANHOOD." ????

And who's the GM exec who signed off on that garbage? I hope his resume is up to date....

Old 07-21-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by fernando_g
Long ago, I once saw an EUROPEAN vehicle commercial, which shows -quite dramatically- the cultural differences between USA and Europe.
It goes like this:

Scene one: A Chippendale male stripper arrives at a club in a large Mercedes, he undresses, goes to the stage in full monty (his back to the camera). The ladies give him a lukewarm applause.

Scene two: Another Chippendale stripper arrives in a large American SUV. Repeats the routine. The ladies yawn and show signs of boredom.

Scene three: Another Chippendale arrives in a Small, snazzy European coupe. Don't recall exactly what, could have been a Mini. Repeats the routine. The ladies become wild with emotion and give him a standing ovation.

The closing comments: "The XYZ car: for men who don't require an ego booster." Or something like that.
Quite hilarious, if you ask me.
There's one guy at work that has an H2. We kid him about "making up for some shortcoming, but we can't imagine what that could be".

Quick Reply: Pathetic Hummer TV Ad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands