Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

anti-hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default anti-hybrids

I just finished reading the article about anti-hybrids and I think I have a simpler solution for getting them off the road or at least decreasing the numbers of buyers.

First pass into law that all S.U.V., Hummers and the like are trucks. They need to go to the weigh stations and they need to stay in the RIGHT LANE at all times!

Next, any tolls they go through, it should be doubled for anti-hybrids. So if you are on the Dulles Greenway and the normal toll or a reasonable car, hybrid or not is $2.70, for Hummers and S.U.V.'s and you might as well include vans in this, the toll would be $5.40.

The reasoning behind this is simple. Obviously these folks can afford the high gas prices and the price tag that goes along with a Hummer and S.U.V.'S and vans. I mean, really, have we seen a Hummer of less than $15,000? Come on, they are more like $50,000. So, obviously, these folks have money to burn.

And let's put more pressure on companies that will develop fuel efficient cars -- whatever it is. This problem surfaced more than 30 years ago and car companies are still not doing anything. Maybe we need to encourage our foreign competitors to investigate this avenue. I'm all for buying American, but let's face it, a Honda or Toyota hybrid is getting much better mileage than a Chevy or a Ford.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: anti-hybrids

Originally Posted by 42hybrid
I just finished reading the article about anti-hybrids and I think I have a simpler solution for getting them off the road or at least decreasing the numbers of buyers.

First pass into law that all S.U.V., Hummers and the like are trucks. They need to go to the weigh stations and they need to stay in the RIGHT LANE at all times!

Next, any tolls they go through, it should be doubled for anti-hybrids. So if you are on the Dulles Greenway and the normal toll or a reasonable car, hybrid or not is $2.70, for Hummers and S.U.V.'s and you might as well include vans in this, the toll would be $5.40.

The reasoning behind this is simple. Obviously these folks can afford the high gas prices and the price tag that goes along with a Hummer and S.U.V.'S and vans. I mean, really, have we seen a Hummer of less than $15,000? Come on, they are more like $50,000. So, obviously, these folks have money to burn.

And let's put more pressure on companies that will develop fuel efficient cars -- whatever it is. This problem surfaced more than 30 years ago and car companies are still not doing anything. Maybe we need to encourage our foreign competitors to investigate this avenue. I'm all for buying American, but let's face it, a Honda or Toyota hybrid is getting much better mileage than a Chevy or a Ford.
Just what exactly is an anti-hybrid.

Is a diesel running on bio-fuel considered an anti-hybrid? How about an E85 vehicle? I am curious as to where you are willing to draw the line. Is it solely based upon your own personal judgements? If someone makes an all electric H3 and it cost 100K, would you still be against it?

I didn't realize that someone who has worked hard to achieve financial success meant that they should have to donate all of their money to causes for the moral minority. How much did your hybrid cost? I bet is a was bunch more than that a 10 year old corolla with 100K+.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

The best thing would just be to put a 50% tax on gas. That would increase the expense of driving around in a less fuel efficient vehicle. Use the gas tax to pay for more public transportation. This sort of setup has worked well in Europe and as a result they drive smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles there, and have public transportation that, with the exception of a very few cities, puts our system to shame.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Banned

Since taxing, esp. in an election year is so difficult to do, I'd favor raising the tax at the pump, but reducing income taxes by that whatever amount is gained by gas taxes. Truckers would get a break since that's their livlihood.

Have not figured the initial amount of the gas tax, because it's not going to happen anytime soon.

At the end of the day, saving fuel is one of the bigger tax breaks.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 08-08-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I drive an SUV (Explorer with 155,000 miles) and a hybrid (TCH). When I finally replace the Explorer it will be with something else fuel efficient. I wasn't about to go out and purchase two new cars so we'll be keeping it for a while. Should I be penalized with your "rich, environmentally nasty, rich SUV owner tax" for driving a ten year old car?

Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

No, if you live in a mountainous region and need the capability of an S.U.V. However, most people in my neighborhood drive S.U.V.'s also and one Hummer and the roads are nicely paved. Most times there is one person in the car, the driver only.
As I stated in my post, this problem with gas surfaced over 30 years ago. No one seems to remember when gas was $.50 a gallon and slowly inched to $1.00, then $1.45, then rushed forward to $3.00 a gallon.
And, yes, you should pay highter tolls, and stay in the right lane. You'll enjoy the view better when you buy your other fuel efficient car and can see around the guy in front of you and the scenery!

Old 08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How about a "soccer mom tax?" Applies to any stay-at-home-Mom who uses a Hummer to drop off less than 5 kids at once at soccer practice.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

And this is an introducation how? *Off to Anything Goes with you!*

And what about hybrid SUV's?