High RPM / Low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default High RPM / Low MPG

Hey all,

I've been having an issue with much lower than normal fuel economy lately in my 2008 NAH. I'd say I'm down 15-20% or so from normal. I've also noticed that the car seem to be running at what feels like a higher than normal RPM. I can watch the instant MPG display and I can let off the pedal and go back on and it will almost feel like it's "shifting" down a bit, but then it will jump back up.

Also, I had an issue where when I started the car, when cold, if I shifted into reverse (reverse is only electric) before the engine would start (to warm itself up), I would get a shaking for a few seconds. If i waited for the engine to start, no issues. I did change the air filter, PCV valve, and spark plugs. That issue seems to have gone away, but the MPG issue remains.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High RPM / Low MPG

Those symptoms can be typical of a hybrid battery on the verge of failure.

I would also check that none of your brakes are dragging.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: High RPM / Low MPG

I know it's been two years, but I realized that I never posted a followup. Due to covid, it took a while to sort out, but it turns out the problem was a failing ignition coil. #4 finally fully burned out (taking out a ECM fuse as well). Replacing it got things running good as new.