Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota sales and market shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 AM
Engineering first
Default Toyota sales and market shift

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...iLkkwD92R3UMG0

Toyota lowers 2009 global sales target

By YURI KAGEYAMA – 7 hours ago

TOKYO (AP) — Toyota lowered its global sales target for 2009 to 9.7 million vehicles on Thursday, down from an earlier 10.4 million vehicles, blaming "tough times," caused by rising material costs, a slowing U.S. market and soaring gas prices.
President Katsuaki Watanabe said Japan's biggest automaker will continue to boost growth by focusing on gas-electric hybrids as a core strategy, and offsetting declining U.S. and European demand with sales in emerging economies.

As part of the new plan, Toyota will start making the Prius hybrid in the U.S., at its Mississippi plant, to meet growing demand for fuel-efficient models, while scaling down production of trucks and other gas-guzzlers there.
Toyota had previously promised the plug-in hybrid for sometime in 2010, but Watanabe said it will be now brought out for rental car fleets by the end of 2009.

Gas-electric hybrids like the Prius deliver better mileage by switching between a gas engine and electric motor, and a plug-in hybrid can travel longer as an electric vehicle, using less gasoline.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota sales and market shift

Following is the President Katsuaki Watanabe's presentation...
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/ir/presen...28presen_1.pdf

Ken@Japan

Old 08-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Engineering first

Thank you!

This is a terrific presentation and there is much to think about. In particular, the Tanto (pp. 14.)

Before buying the NHW11, 2003 Prius, we had been looking at the Scion xB that is a similar shape if somewhat larger. What attracted my eye to the Tanto were the doors. It looks like the front and rear doors have a common 'latch point', possibly together and the both hinged on the outer edges. If there is no center post, that would be a brilliant design.

BTW, I'm convienced that Toyota will make a smaller yet more powerful hybrid drive system than what we have in today's NHW20. My energy studies of the NHW11 clearly shows the battery system is 'over built' and with improved management, a significantly smaller battery transaxle is possible. Replacing the chain with a geared drive from the PSD would also be brilliant. I'm not complaining about the chain but I prefer gears.

Bob Wilson

Old 08-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hi,
You're welcome.
Originally Posted by bwilson4web
This is a terrific presentation and there is much to think about. In particular, the Tanto (pp. 14.)

Before buying the NHW11, 2003 Prius, we had been looking at the Scion xB that is a similar shape if somewhat larger. What attracted my eye to the Tanto were the doors. It looks like the front and rear doors have a common 'latch point', possibly together and the both hinged on the outer edges. If there is no center post, that would be a brilliant design.
Your guess is correct the Tanto has no center post.
http://www.daihatsu.co.jp/lineup/tan...cept/index.htm
However, the Tanto is very small K-car category, 660cc engine and 3400mm(length)X1480mm(width).

BTW, I'm convienced that Toyota will make a smaller yet more powerful hybrid drive system than what we have in today's NHW20. My energy studies of the NHW11 clearly shows the battery system is 'over built' and with improved management, a significantly smaller battery transaxle is possible. Replacing the chain with a geared drive from the PSD would also be brilliant. I'm not complaining about the chain but I prefer gears.
The Highlander/RX400h hybrid has such gear instead of chain for final drive.
Anyway, we'll see hybrid options on the every Toyota models in 2020's (pp.18).

Ken@Japan

Old 08-30-2008, 12:08 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ken1784
. . .
Your guess is correct the Tanto has no center post.
http://www.daihatsu.co.jp/lineup/tan...cept/index.htm
However, the Tanto is very small K-car category, 660cc engine and 3400mm(length)X1480mm(width).
. . .
Very clever, the lower right has a photo showing a ramp up the back of the Tanto. My wife has mobility problems and such a ramp could be very useful.

What I can not tell is if the rear floor is flat meaning the rear wheels have independent suspension. This would be a brilliant solution to interior space and allow the floor to be much closer to the ground. It could also lead to a very innovative recreational vehicle.

With variable height suspension, it would be at a middle setting on ordinary roads. At highway speeds, it might tuck down a bit to reduce drag. Upon arriving at a rough road area, the suspension would extend up for clearance. Upon reaching the 'camp site,' it would squat as close to the ground as possible.

This would also make a very useful utility van. The adjustable height would make it easier for the small business man to deal with large loads and any road or traffic situation.

Bob Wilson