Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

NY state emissions regulations

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 06:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default NY state emissions regulations

Even Toyota is in on the lawsuit vs the state...

November 26, 2005
Battle Lines Set as New York Acts to Cut Emissions

By DANNY HAKIM
ALBANY, Nov. 23 - New York is adopting California's ambitious new regulations aimed at cutting automotive emissions of global warming gases, touching off a battle over rules that would sharply reduce carbon dioxide emissions while forcing the auto industry to make vehicles more energy efficient over the next decade.

The rules, passed this month by a unanimous vote of the State Environmental Board, are expected to be adopted across the Northeast and the West Coast. But the auto industry has already moved to block the rules in New York State, and plans to battle them in every other state that follows suit.

Last edited by Jason; 11-26-2005 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: NY state emissions regulations

I've chopped the article down a bit. Please include the source so we may read the rest of the article, but do not post the entire thing.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:51 AM

New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/26/ny...emissions.html

I posted the article because site registration is often required to read the article. I'll avoid that next time.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:45 AM

Honda is, AFAIK, the only major auto manufacturer to not join the lawsuit. Last year when this story broke I wrote Toyota to register my displeasure, and was given the party spin about objecting to multiple (state and federal) regulation requirements.

That, of course, is BS, since between CA and CARB compliant states, a dominant market has been made that justifies manufacturing all autos to CA's regulations.

I personally do not get to riled nowadays about the whole business, since I think the only thing that is going to decrease consumption is higher pump prices -- either market driven or through additional taxes.