Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

On the verge of getting my first EV

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 02:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default On the verge of getting my first EV

I am close to making the decision to get my first electric car. My review of the electric car market has lead me to conclude that the time is not yet ripe for me to replace my current car altogether - there are very few EV entrants in the large family car with a big boot class. That apart, my current car is still going strong and I think it makes more environmental sense to
  • use it for another year or two for journeys that actually need a big car
  • use a small electric runabout for everything else - most of what I do
I find that the Smart ForTwo EQ meets my needs. Yes, the battery autonomy is limited and it probably is not too fast. However, given that my average car journey is under 10km in the countryside on small, uncrowded roads. However, before I convince myself I thought I would ask here
  • are there any "gotchas" I need to be aware of with this car?
  • is the car expensive to service?
  • is it safe to use in wet or icy weather?
  • does it tend to fog up on the inside when the weather is cold?
I'd be much obliged for any help and tips here.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: On the verge of getting my first EV

It's dope that you're thinking about the environment and taking small steps to reduce your carbon footprint. It's all about progress, not perfection, right? I don't know much about the Smart ForTwo EQ specifically, but someone on this forum will have some experience with it. As for "gotchas," make sure you check out the charging infrastructure in your area and plan accordingly. And if you're worried about bad weather, you can always get some Snap Shades to keep your windows clear! Check out the link https://snapshades.com/. They've got some sick shades for all kinds of cars. Good luck!

Last edited by NoelGallagher; 03-04-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EVGeek
I am close to making the decision to get my first electric car. My review of the electric car market has lead me to conclude that the time is not yet ripe for me to replace my current car altogether - there are very few EV entrants in the large family car with a big boot class. That apart, my current car is still going strong and I think it makes more environmental sense to
  • use it for another year or two for journeys that actually need a big car
  • use a small electric runabout for everything else - most of what I do
I find that the Smart ForTwo EQ meets my needs. Yes, the battery autonomy is limited and it probably is not too fast. However, given that my average car journey is under 10km in the countryside on small, uncrowded roads. However, before I convince myself I thought I would ask here
  • are there any "gotchas" I need to be aware of with this car?
  • is the car expensive to service?
  • is it safe to use in wet or icy weather?
  • does it tend to fog up on the inside when the weather is cold?
I'd be much obliged for any help and tips here.
There is a review on the YouTube channel of "Fully Charged"

Old 03-19-2023, 02:45 AM
Enthusiast

I have endurance anxiety, so I think gas cars are better